Chapter Twelve - Waiting Game

(Brayden's POV)

*THUD*
Ow, that time hurt. I pick myself up of the ground and sit on the hard, dirty prison bed, at the back of my cell. The thing we didn't tell Oakley and Violet, was that I've been to prison 13 times, Henry 8, and Koko 64 times. She's only 17, so I really don't know how that happened, but anyway. It's awful, but you get used to it. That's why Koko's boss, she is one of the world's most wanted criminals, but she's also boss because of 'The Incident', we don't like to talk about that one. Maybe at some point we'll have to tell Oakley and Violet, but not yet, it's not a good story.

"Get in! Hey Brandon, looks like you got a cellmate!" I hear one of the guards shout at me. "It's Brayden." I mumble under my breath. "What was that? Did you just talk back to me?" I shake my head although I know that's a lie. Never, in all my times here, do they get my name right!

Flashback

"If all you do is follow their rules and keep your head down, no one gets hurt. You can wait till the right time to stand up, but for now blend in. You don't want trouble, I of all people would know."

End of Flashback

I remember the first time I met Koko, the advice she gave me. I've used that advice ever since and it works every time. It means, if you follow the rules, until you need to break them, you'll succeed. I keep those words with me every time we get caught. I could be the one to stand up and break the rules, but I'll never be free, or I could carry out the rules and forever be free. I guess now, it was just a waiting game.

Author here, I think I quite like this chapter, personally I think it's my best one yet, have a great day/night and look after yourselves! See you soon 😊

310 words