꧁Don't Blame the Dog: Chapter 5꧂

Hey guys :) I just got out of school and I've been waiting to write 

Getting the band back together.

sorry, we all know 5th year Harry is moody asf.

3rd Person POV:

The nap the group had decided on lasted a lot longer than they had agreed on. James, who was acting most uncharacteristically, stayed under, burrowed on the Gryffindor bed. His eyes were trained on the velvet sheet covering his view from the others, taking note of each discrepancy in the pattern.

How could it be?

His heart crumbled slightly, a headache forming at the mere thought of the auburn. To know that one day he wouldn't get the chance to catch the sight of Lily's emerald eyes in the sun or see her face scrunch in a scowl at him plagued his thoughts.

And then there was the matter of Harry. James may have only been sixteen, but the thought that his future son would only have so little time with him and the life that followed would be harder made it difficult for him to breathe.

"James," he heard the distorted voice of Sirius come through the blanket. "we need to attend the feast."

"There's no feasts for the dead."

Bright light entered his haven as the now blonde-haired boy ripped the curtain open. Of course, it wasn't really bright - dusk was beginning to settle over the Hogwarts grounds as students were seen coming into the school in groups.

"Don't say that mate," Sirius said solemnly, "you have plenty of years before you're unable to eat."

James let out a dry laugh, getting up to sit on the edge of the bed. He noticed Remus give him a weak smile.

"What do we do now?"

"Well, Moony," Sirius started, settling on the bed next to James, "we appreciate the fact that we actually made it to the future-"

"Yeah," James snorted sarcastically. "One where we're either dead, imprisoned, or cast away from society."

"No, one where you managed to get Evans to marry you-" he turned to Remus with a smirk "-and one where you managed to shag M/n."

He let out a howl of laughter, not even attempting to stop after Remus threw a dirty look his way.

"Gross, Padfoot."

Eventually, Sirius managed to begin to choke on air, and as his laughter turned to coughs. Only this triggered Remus to start to laugh at the state of his friend, and then James felt a bubble of laughter spill from his lips.

Soon the entire dorm was filled with their mixture of laughter and choking until the previously raven-haired boy attempted to guide a sentence out.

"Oh man, our futures suck."

"Maybe there's still hope for Peter," Remus questioned before letting out a last chuckle.

"From the rate we're going he's probably been stuck in some Muggle petshop-"

"What the bloody hell is going on in here!" exclaimed a loud voice.

The lanky, ginger boy that had called Y/n earlier came bounding in, Harry following in his wake.

The three boys froze in their spot, forgetting they were currently in the future. Subconsciously, they managed to check over their appearances, looking out for signs of their true physical attributes shining through.

"Well?" the boy questioned impatiently.

"We're new students here," Remus said smoothly.

James was glad for the save. The sight of Harry shooting an unbothered look their way made his insides curl. From this close, his eyes gave off the same emerald sheen Lily's always did was she was annoyed at him.