Decidedly Not a Meet Cute

It's dangerous...

Draco was laser-focused as he walked through the Ministry lobby Monday morning towards the lifts. Today was the day he finally came face to face with Public Enemy No. 1, as he had taken to calling De Loughrey in his mind. He would size him up and then come up with a plan to try and get his job.

"Fancy seeing you early," Blaise said as he fell in step with Draco, the two walking onto the lift. Draco raised an eyebrow at him as he pressed the button for their floor and the lift began moving with a lurch. "Any luck with that-"

"No," Draco said harshly, not wanting to discuss his weekend rendezvous at work.

The Potions Research Department was located on one of the lower levels as the Ministry wished to keep all its research arms in the same general area, though none of them had access to the levels where the Unspeakables worked beneath them. It had started as a small chamber in a forgotten corner shortly after the war, but with a lot of work and several very successful new potions patents, Draco and his mentor Watkins had managed to convince the Ministry that it was a worthwhile venture.

The department now had its own level and was staffed by about 50 witches and wizards split into various teams. Draco and Blaise were in the main lab, considered the most elite and most senior team, dealing with a lot of testing of theoretical potions and bringing them to life. The new boss would be located in their lab and work directly with them most of the time, though he would also oversee all the others as well. It was a load of work - Watkins had stayed late more often than not balancing his administrative role with his research - but it was a responsibility that Draco had been striving for since Day 1. It wasn't enough to be on the research team anymore, he wanted the entire floor to flourish because of his leadership.

Show the wizarding world that you didn't need to be the bloody Golden Trio to make meaningful contributions and all. And to perhaps forget finally that he had once been a Death Eater.

All that was standing in his way was O. A. De Loughrey.

"Wanted to check on my work before the new boss arrives," Draco said dryly as the lift came to a stop and they both got out, making their way down the hall to the main research lab. Everyone was to meet there at 9 a.m. sharp in order to greet De Loughrey and Draco wanted to get set up before them so he could dive right into work afterwards.

"You think he'll cut projects?" Blaise asked, a bit of worry creeping into his eyes.

"Why would he do that?" Draco asked.

"Dunno. He's young. This is the first department he's been in charge of. Perhaps he's eager to make a mark. Could cut projects that are draining resources but haven't paid off yet," Blaise said. "It's what you'd do."

"Possibly. But not on the first day," Draco said as they stepped into the large, spacious room.

"Maybe he won't be so bad," Blaise then said lightly. Draco snorted, not even dignifying the remark with a proper response.

Many of their teammates were already standing in the gathering spot in the middle of the room that was sectioned off into various offices and workspaces, crisp white work robes pressed to perfection. Draco resisted the urge to roll his eyes. They were far too eager to make a good impression on the new boss and it was annoying.

He walked over to his own office which was the largest and off in a corner, putting his case down under one of the tables and started glancing over a few potions he had left to air over the weekend. There was no set dress code for the department as they spent most of their day covered in the lab robes, but Draco didn't let that stop him from dressing immaculately. He pulled slightly on his suit sleeve and then glanced down at himself, pleased with the overall effect.