From Here on Out

Slowly, it's taking over me...

Draco took a deep breath and then slowly let it out before he stepped up and knocked on Liv's door. He prayed that he was able to get a few words in before she slammed it in his face, though he was still unsure as to what exactly he would say to her. Perhaps the best place was to start from the beginning?

After a minute or so, the door opened and Liv stared at him. The tears seemed to have stopped, finally. And she had changed out of her work robes. But her face was void of expression and he wasn't sure if that boded well or not.

"We need to talk, Liv," he said firmly.

"White was just here," she said, crossing her arms in front of her. "Said they wanted me to come back... that new evidence proving my innocence came up and while they were sorting things out. I could take back my position."

Merlin, that was quick. But why didn't she seem happy?

"That's... great news, Liv," Draco said, genuinely meaning it as he smiled softly. She remained frowning.

"Why did you do it?" she asked. For a moment, Draco hesitated, unsure of what to say. "Why did you get me my job back?"

"Ah, White told you then?" he asked. Liv shook her head.

"He didn't say anything, but I figured it had to be you," she said softly. "I mean, it's what I would do if I wanted to prove that I hadn't betrayed someone."

Draco held his breath, hoping this meant what he thought it did. He started to reach for her but stopped.

"It was the right thing to do. You're innocent and I could prove it," he said.

Liv studied him a few moments and then stepped back, pulling the door fully open and allowing him in. Draco walked in, waiting for her to shut the door before they both silently made their way up to the library.

"Today has been... a rollercoaster," Liv said with a sigh as she stepped a few feet away from him before stopping. She ran her fingers through her hair.

"I expect it has," Draco said, shoving his hands into his pockets. "But I swear, I had no part in the plan. It was actually Susan Bones."

Liv's eyes widened in shock. Draco reckoned that was likely how he looked when she had confessed to him.

"Susan?" she asked. "But... she always seemed so... harmless. I mean, she's meticulous with her work - not creative in the slightest - but... never thought she could scheme or anything."

Draco nodded and then looked to the ground.

"I believe she was bitter about having her project cut. And then... well, she said she did it for me," he said, feeling heat pool in his face.

"For you?" Liv asked. Draco nodded, still not looking at her.

"She wanted me to head the department... so she set out to get rid of you," he said. He finally looked back up at her. "I'm so sorry, Liv. I had no idea she was doing this, or I would have stopped her."

Liv stared at him a few moments before speaking, a few different emotions playing out over her face.

She then settled on relief.

"Well, I suppose it's over now, so nothing I can do about it," she said. "And it's not your fault. You didn't know she would go to such lengths. And I suppose I could have been a bit better about the projects I cut..."

"You've been a great leader. Have some in the department not enjoyed it? Yes, unfortunately. But most have come around to you, seeing the good that you have done. And I've found it's mostly to do with their own insecurity than anything in particular that you've done," he said.