Deep Dive

I need a hit...

"Morning, Malfoy!" Susan said brightly as he walked into the lab.

He nodded towards her and then headed straight to his office, hoping that it wouldn't be yet another repeat of the last few days. Since the weekend, De Loughrey had been spending more time overlooking his potion than any others and he was getting annoyed.

Though he had to admit, if professionalism was a topic taught at Hogwarts, she'd likely get top marks. Even Draco to fight against the urge to lose it around her, whether it was to yell or kiss her.

He stopped in his preparations as his eyes widened. Fuck. He had been doing well, he thought. But it seemed certain urges were still sneaking their way into his mind. How he wished he was working on a potion to counteract that.

Maybe that would be his next project.

Sighing, he set back to work, pulling on his lab robes and then going over his notes from where he left off yesterday. He had tried a new variation, tweaking some of the ingredients, but it still hadn't worked - as De Loughrey was quick to point out though it was unnecessary. At least he hadn't killed another mouse this time.

Sighing, he stopped and looked around, trying to decide where he wanted to start today. The best place was to start with the base ingredients that he knew would work, then go from there. And hopefully De Loughrey would prove her worth and tell him she had finally procured some Night Heather. Though he doubted she was actually trying.

Regardless, best to get to work.

"Hey, Draco."

He grimaced slightly but quickly rearranged his expression before turning around to see a smiling De Loughrey standing in his doorway. Her hair had been down earlier, but it was now up, quills sticking out haphazardly. She had - once again - lost her outer robe and had her blouse sleeves rolled up.

"Thought I'd help," she said, smiling.

Draco fought off the urge to roll his eyes. That's what she called it but he thought it more hindering than anything. But she was his boss. It wasn't as though he could tell her to go away.

He motioned her in as he turned back to his work.

"You know, many people find it offensive that you continue to use our given names," he said dryly. "We're work colleagues. You're our... boss."

The word left a bad taste in his mouth. But De Loughrey just chuckled.

"I really don't understand that," she said. "I've always been on a first name basis with all my mentors and bosses."

She stepped up to his side and looked up at him expectantly.

"You can chop those," he said, pointing to a pile of frog brains, unsure of why she was allowing him to take the lead suddenly. "And it's just how things are done."