Chapter Four | 'It takes one to know one'

A L E X A N D R A | J O N E S 

I have not seen Ares in two days, and I guess you could say i did miss the thrill and excitement. That time was the best day of my life, and now here I am getting ready for my night shift at the library.

Diávolos has not made a return, since that night in my bedroom. 

Cathy sat on my bed, flicking through magazines. "So, where were you last Wednesday?" I raise a brow. "What do you mean?" She throws the magazine back onto my bed side table, taking her standing as she evaluates my paint brushes and canvases.

"I came to the house, and no one answered." She whispers.

"I went to the museum...and... saw Ares." Her head jerked back "He searched through my sketchbook and saw a drawing I had done of Diávolos. Obviously, I wanted to flee, but he suggested he could assist me in finding my inspiration." I tell her the rest of the story with a smile, "and then he drew me and-" While wearing my library uniform, I continued to talk about everything. To protect my skin, I knot my laces and wear socks over my ankle.

"Ares? You spent time together with Ares." She said, shocked.

"Yeah, he's pretty cool."

"But what about your parents? You're not allowed near boys." She began raising her voice, "and I told you that he is bad news, he fucks around with girls and leaves them. Do you want to be one of them?"

"No, it is not like that."

"Then why are you hanging out with him?"

"What exactly is your issue, Cathy? He is only a friend, and I have not seen or heard from him in two days. I now have a work. I'll take the bus." She was meant to take me, but to be honest, I am really surprised why she is acting so protectively.

She is the one who wishes for me to find a boyfriend or have my first kiss. And now, as soon as a boy pays attention to me, she pounces. I grab my bag and slip my coat over my shoulders before heading downstairs.

I stuff my sketch book inside along with sharpened pens. And the same paintbrush Diávolos touched. "Hey, I'm sorry Ali, I just don't want you to get hurt."

"How could he possibly harm me? I do not like him...he merely helped me, and don't forget about my Diávolos obsession." She jingles her keys and offers to drive me. I sigh and succumb. My parents are in the living room, dad reading the newspapers as my mother plays scrabble while rocking on the wooden chair.

I say my goodbyes to both of them and walk out of the house, locking the door behind me. I slip inside the car, and she drives me to the library, arriving ten minutes later. I step out of the car; she rolls down her windows as I shut the door of her car. "Do you need me to pick you up?"

"No, I'll take the bus home."

"Okay, text me if you need me or if Diávolos magically appears." She jokes, I roll my eyes and walk away.

I scan my card, the doors opening. "Hello Alexandra." Maxine, my night shift co-worker spoke.

"Hello Maxine, is joey here?"

"Should be, don't forget that I'm locking up."

"Even better for me."

There were many old people that come to read at this time, and i loved it. Because i get to see them being happy, I unpack my things and take my sketch book out. I get paid to draw basically and put back a few books. But my favourite thing in the world was seeing Joey making his way towards me.

Definitely wanting to ask me what book of the day I have chosen for him. Joey was an old man, sincere and kind. He tells me all sorts of stories about his old life, but the best is about his wife. He told me everything, I was like his mini therapist. I had no idea old couples have problems at this age.