Chapter Sixteen | 'A Fool and His Money Are Soon Parted'

A L E X A N D R A | J O N E S

I spent all night searching, searching for the words he said to me. With one hand leaning against my jaw, and the other sketching in my book. I look up and see Ares doing a tattoo on Cathy's leg. "Ares."

"Yes, princess." He responds. Thankfully, Cathy is dead asleep. This tattoo is a big one, meaning long hours.

"I've been trying to figure this sentence out, but I can't."

"What is it?" He wipes the damp cloth to remove the excess ink and continues. I push a hair behind my head and try to repeat the words.

"Thymísou Ángelos...something along the lines." Ares looks up at me, I bring my chair closer to him and stare into his eyes.

"You're missing words. That doesn't make sense." I groan and slump back down, maybe the words he said to me could help me find him. I try my hardest, come on! It was only yesterday; you should be able to remember. Especially if it meant that much to me.

"I remember! Thymísou me tou Ángelos! That is the one! What does it mean?" I pronounced it wrong.

"Remember me, Angel." He whispers, his eyes gleaming with mine. He said it as if he was the one who meant it, he said it, just like the tone Diávolos used. My lips gently pull apart, and my heart rate increases but our eyes never leave each other.

I always believe in love at first sight, but this was not the first, why did I feel like...like I have looked into them before.

Ignoring my suspicions, I turn my head away. "Thank you, I was trying to figure out what it meant all night." I chuckle out to break the bond.

Ares did not say anything to me the remainder of the time. Instead, he remained deafeningly silent until the tattoo was completed. "Okay! We are ready to go!" Cathy puts on her pants and slings her purse over her shoulders. Her fingers were dangling from the keys.

"You leave; I should speak with Ares." I sense Ares staring at me, but I ignore it as Cathy nods and kisses my cheeks before directing her to leave the room. I turn around and close the door.

Ares looks at me with hope...?

"I want another tattoo," he stands up and goes to the sink to wash his hands.

"What do you want and where?"

"I want the two swords, like on the necklace Diávolos gave me." He pauses. Looking up to the wall in front of him.

"Don't be stupid, Alex."

"I want it on my back. My lower back."

"I'm not going to do that." Why is he arguing with me? He always said I would suit tattoos; I settle down onto the bed.

"Why not?" I answer back.

"Because. I am not allowed to. That's the sign Diávolos marks on someone when he wants them killed." My eyes widen, but the necklace. That did not make any sense. Diávolos gave me a necklace with the same sign, does that mean he wanted me killed? Why would he want to kill me? Have I done something for him to be angry with me?

"No Diávolos wouldn't kill me, the necklace had the same sign."

"With his real name on the back, when his people check for the mark, they see what's written." My palms were sweaty, is he telling me, that the entire time I had Diávolos' real identity on the back of my necklace? He was protecting me with his life.

"Explain, please Ares..." He stands between me, resting beside my hips as he leans close.

"On the back of the card necklace is mentioned the type of death. Exile. Bleeding profusely. Quick assassination. Stabbing. Shooting. He gave you a necklace with his true name on it, which means that if anyone touches you, he will personally murder them."