Chapter 29

"One of you, go tell the driver to prepare the car." Chiyo ordered a pair of maids. They gave each other looks with raised eyebrows.

"Did Hitomi-sama have plans to go somewhere this evening?" One of them asked. Neither were aware of any such plans, and it appeared to be rather sudden at this time of day.

"No, she doesn't...but I have a feeling she might soon." Chiyo smiled to herself, her explanation only confusing the other maids even further. They gave each other another look, clearly understanding that the head maid knew something that they didn't.

Suddenly, they heard frantic footsteps coming down the stairs. The maids all bowed respectfully as Chiyo addressed the young girl. "Hitomi-sama, the car will be out...shortly..." The woman's voice slowly faded out as she realized the girl wasn't listening.

The maids' eyes followed Hitomi as she rushed out the front door. "Was it alright to let her go out alone this late, Chiyo-san!?" The pair of maids asked their superior.

The woman smiled, watching her charge run off. "It seems I've misjudged..." She chuckled to herself. "Hitomi-sama will be fine. Even if something were to happen, her bodyguards are always close by. Let us get back to work, shall we?" She clapped her hands twice, prompting the maids to bow and leave the area for their separate duties.

Chiyo gazed out the window, looking fondly after Hitomi with a gentle, knowing, smile.

.

.

.

Somehow, Hitomi was already panting. She was never so unathletic or unfit, but her anxiety seemed to play a part in her shortness of breath. She felt a faint stinging in her eyes from the wind, but her focus was entirely on finding Nishinoya.

In retrospect, she could have made it so much easier by calling or texting him, but her body moved faster than her mind.

Winner!

When she saw that writing printed on the popsicle stick, she flung out of her seat. The next thing she knew, she was out the door without her phone or anything.

Upon reaching the convenience store, she paused to catch her breath while her eyes scanned the inside through the window. She jumped in place, trying to give herself a slightly higher point of view.

There was no sign of the libero. No sign of his styled up hair, his brightly colored shirts with those random four-character idioms, or his loud voice.

Hitomi dashed off, making her way towards his house. She'd only been there once, so she prayed that the path she chose was the correct one.

After turning another corner, she saw the idiom 'One-Man Army' printed on the back of a bright red t-shirt.

The tightening of her heart instantly disappeared as her tense body immediately relaxed, being flooded with relief. "Nishinoya-kun!!!" She shouted out, completely forgetting that it was nighttime and that she might be disturbing his neighbors.

The boy flinched upon hearing her shout. Turning around, his eyes widened upon seeing her. "H-Hitomi-chan!?! Y-You're crying!! What happened?! Are you hurt!?" He frantically asked as he rushed up to her.

"Eh?" She released a confused breath. Her hand hesitantly touched her cheek, feeling the wetness of her flowing tears. It seemed like the stinging in her eyes was from more than just running through the wind.

"E-Eh? What...Why am I..." She softly spoke in disbelief and confusion, her other hand coming up to rub her eyes and cheeks. She hadn't realized until he pointed it out. She wasn't sure if she was crying out of relief and happiness at finding him or if she was releasing all of her pent up sadness from years past now that she started crying and couldn't stop.