Chapter 5

Another day of school had gone by and a few more confessions were thrown at Hitomi. She went through it all with no problem and plenty of apathy. The one part she did look forward to, however, was her time in the school's library.

While most kids either went off to their after-school club activities or hung out with friends, Hitomi studied. Isolating herself and having loads of free time, one of the few things she could do to occupy so much of that time was to study. It wasn't that she really liked to do it or anything. It was just something she could do with all this time.

She didn't particularly like being cooped up in her house all day though, so she signed up for prep schools. On days that she didn't have prep school, she would opt to stay in her school's library to browse the endless array of books.

She read all genres, from science fiction, to horror, to biographies, and anything else. There was a nook in the library that was a bit sectioned off from the rest of the room and hidden by the shelves. Of course, her many admirers and stalkers eventually found her little spot, but it was rare nowadays for her to be bothered here.

Most students chose to stay away from the library since many didn't have too much interest in using their free time to study. Those that did, tended to keep to themselves as this was one of the few quiet places they could study in. Although, some of them would eye Hitomi from afar every once in a while. It didn't matter to her, so long as they didn't actually try to talk to her.

As always, some people didn't have that kind of self-restraint. Coming to the library with no intention of studying and every intention of catching Hitomi's attention, these people caused a huge disturbance in the quiet place. As such, they would be sternly escorted out by the head librarian.

So, the school's library very quickly became one of Hitomi's precious places to relax.

Today was one such day to do so. Walking along the aisles, she searched the shelves high and low for any books that may interest her. With how many books she's read and with the pace that she does, Hitomi probably read through half of the books already.

With a stack of about three books, she was ready to head into her little nook of the library when a certain title caught her eye.

Volleyball Fundamentals: A Better Way to Learn the Basics

"I'm Karasuno's libero and Guardian Deity!"

Hitomi blinked, her thoughts on the memory disappearing. She stared at the spine of the book, and then to the stack of books in her hands. Her eyes going back and forth a few times, she ultimately decided to place the volleyball book on the bottom of the pile. It wasn't like she didn't have the strength to carry everything.

Well, she doubted she would get through all of these other books before she got to the volleyball one anyways. It was just a simple curiosity.

Going into her little nook, she took the book on the top of the pile and started her mental journey. It was at the middle of the second book when she got a text on her cellphone from her personal maid.

From: Chiyo-san

Subject: When will you be home?

Text:

Good afternoon, Hitomi-sama. I can assume you are at the library, as you do not have prep school today. Approximately when will you arrive home?

Best regards, Chiyo.

She didn't have a specific time she would go back, but she replied with a time that she thought she would be back by.

Not that it really mattered. Hitomi always had a few bodyguards around her somewhere. They basically knew where she was at all times. So, the time she texted wasn't of much consequence to her.