Chapter two

"Welcome back to 'Eggs with Elsie,' I'm Elsie Kentworthy, and today's topic is the Princesses Aurora and Mia," the TV is playing while Mia and I sit on a couch each, facing each other. Mia is writing in her diary while I am sketching a crown.

"Hello" two voices say, making Mia and I jump. 

"So sorry, we thought we were alone"

"No, miss. I'm Anna. At your service, Princess Aurora" a girl around 5'2 introduces herself.

"And I'm Ava, Miss" another girl an inch shorter introduces herself before they both curtsy.

"I'm Aurora, it's nice to meet you" I say smiling at them.

"I'm Brigitte, if it pleases you. At your service, Princess Mia" the shorter, brunette lady introduces herself, curtsying.

"And I'm Brigitta, Miss" the taller, blonde lady introduces also curtsying.

"Brigitte and Brigitta, I'm Mia. And, please, you don't... Don't curtsy like that" 

"Not like this? How do you like it then? Like this maybe?" The girls then continue to curtsy in more ways then I knew existed. 

"No, no, no, I didn't mean, like, you know" Mia rambles.

"The queen bids you good morning, Princess. She's in session with parliment." Charlotte says, walking into the room where Brigitte and Brigitta are both still doing their aray of curtsys infront of Mia, who is still sat on the couch, and Anna, Ava and I are sat watching on finding it highly amusing. Anna and Ava went to stop it before Charlotte walked in but I asked them not to because it was simply hilarious watching Mia try to stop the two girls. 

"Ok. Good morning, Charlotte," I greet her.

"Good morning. I see you've met your lady's maids"

"Yeah. Um... How do you turn off the curtsies?" Mia asks, still flustered by the situation.

"Oh. Enough bowing. Back to you chores," Charlotte says, dismissing the four girls, "Her Majesty will meet you in one hour at the throne room"

"Ok"

"I'm sorry your suite's aren't ready yet. But you're welcome to stay here in Her Majesty's suite" Charlotte appologises.

"No, no, it's fine. Really Charlotte. Hey, could we possible explore the palace a little bit?" I ask her. The palace is a large, beautiful building and I feel like Mia and I have barely seen any of it.

"Of course," Charlotte says. Then a large, white poodle runs in. "Well, you've met Maurice"

"Hey, Mo" Mia and I say at the same time. It's not often we do speak in sync but it's cool when we do. I still think we have minor twin telepathy. 

"The throne room, in an hour" Charlotte reminds us, as we walk out. 

Mia and I talk as we wonder around the palace. We then see a room that's hidden behind a column. The two of us hurry inside to see an oddly decorated room.

"Now if I had a place that was basically a secret room, this is not how I would decorate" I say looking around and Mia laughs. 

The room looked as though people didn't go in it often. There was things like paintings, vases and sculptures. As Mia and I continue to look around I accidently almost knock one of the sculptures of a head over.

"Oh... As if this couldn't get any creepier and cooler. There's an actual secret room" I say as a door opens. 

The two of us, clearly would die first in a horror movie, as we walk straight in. There is a narrow corridor and when we reach the end there is a small window type thing. We lift it to see the members of parliament speaking about the heir to the thrown. Mia and I stand and listen.

"As we all know, the 21st birthday of an heir to the Genovian bloodline is indeed a matter of great public significance. It signifies that this young person is eligible to assume the crown."

"Indeed, we are well aware of this, Viscount"

"The queen has already indicated that Princess Aurora intends to learn more at her side before assuming the throne"

"It was not Princess Aurora to whom I was referring" That causes everyone to gasp.

"King Chevalier was the great-great-great-grandfather of" The man who is speaking is cut off by Mia coughing. This caused everyone in the room to look around while I out my hand over Mia's mouth and mouth 'shut up'.

"Proceed"

"As of October last year, on the occasion of his 21st birthday, another Genovian of the royal bloodline became eligible to assume the throne"

What? No.

"My nephew, Lord Devereaux"

Oh wonderful. An old man trying to live his life through someone else.

"I beg your pardon?" Grandma says.

"My nephew's mother was my wife's sister. Therefore, Your Majesty, I am pleased to say that my nephew is ready to take his place as Genovia's rightful king"

Over my dead body. It sound's like grandma agrees, "Shut up."

"I beg your pardon?" 

You heard her. She said shut up.

"I mean..." grandma starts.

"'Shut up' doesn't always mean shut up. In America, it's like 'Oh, my' 'Gee whiz' 'wow'"

"Yes, thank you, Mr. Prime Minister"

I am getting serious deja vu right now.

"But isn't Princess Aurora first in line to ascend the throne?"

"Not yet. Genovian law states that a princess must marry before she can take the throne" Are you joking?

"We have never enforced that law. A man doesn't have to marry to be king. I mean it's the 21st century, for heaven's sake. My granddaughter should be given the same rights as any man" grandma defends me.

"Yeah!" Mia says before I shush her. She really is not very good at this whole secret spy mission thing we've got going on.

"Genovia shall have no queen lest she be bound in matrimony"

"Lord Palimore?"

"That has been the law for the last 300 years. Princess Aurora is not qualified to rule because she is unmarried"

"My granddaughter is more qualified then most men! You cannot argue against the facts just because she is a woman" 

"Everyone, please. I suggest this honoured body allow Princess Aurora one year, during which she must marry, or she forfeits the throne of Genovia to young Lord Devereaux" 

"I object. I object most strongly"

"One year?" "60 days" "Two months"

*Time skip to the throne room*

"How can parliment expect me to fall in love in 30days? It's like a big trick to get me to have an arrainged marriage. I know you had an arrianged marriage but it's different. He was your best friend. Listen, I am not someone who falls in love quickly, I mean it took me two years to admit I loved Daniel and I even now I'm not sure I really did" I ramble while pacing in the throne room. 

"You don't have to do this, Aurora. You don't have to become queen" grandma tells me.

"This is so unfair" I say while I stop to think. 

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important that fear.

That's what is inscribed on the inside cover of my diary from my father.

"There are 550 years of Renaldis on these walls. And I will be up there next to my father. I want my chance to make a difference as a ruler"