Chapter Eleven

"It's him!" I heard Eren scream.

The Titan's arm came crashing on top of the wall, taking out the battlements and flinging us off the wall. The wall shook. The stone gates were smashed to smithereens.

I was falling.

For a moment, I looked up in shock at the wall where I had been previously standing. My mind was blank for about a millisecond, then I almost slapped myself.

You're a soldier. You aren't going to die without even getting to fight.

I activated my 3DMG. The wires spun out, clamping onto the wall. I skidded against the wall a bit, but I was safe. I looked to the side to see if anyone else had survived.

On my right and left sides were Eren and Connie. I saw that others had survived their falls as well.

Eren wasn't satisfied with just surviving, however.

"This is our chance!" he yelled, "The Colossal Titan is right there! We can get him!"

"WHAT?" I screamed at him. "ARE YOU INSANE?"

Oh, wait. Yeah, he is.

Eren leapt into the air, heading towards the top of the wall.

"Eren!" I shouted, "Come back!"

He paid no attention. His figure disappeared over the top of the wall.

I was diverted from Eren by a shriek.

Sasha was running down the wall in pursuit of a falling body. She managed to attach one of her wires to its ankle, and it hung there, dangling like an autumn leaf on a tree.

I just stood there, shocked at the chaos surrounding me. We all were simply standing there, unsure of what to do. Shock was coursing through my veins.

This isn't real. This isn't happening. You can wake up.

I shook myself, as if I really could wake myself from this nightmare. I looked down over at the city. I could see people running, and screams seemed to pierce my ears. As I closed my eyes, nauseating horror swept through my body in paralyzing waves.

Eren landed back next to me, cursing.

"It's gone. The thing disappeared just as I was about to get it."

He swung himself back to the top of the wall. We all followed.

The shattered remains of the upper battlements surrounded us like a graveyard. The canons were nothing but twisted, steaming hunks of metal now; they were rendered useless from the Colossal Titan's breach of the wall.

Eren was still scolding himself for letting the Titan escape.

"I should have been faster! I could've gotten him!"

"Eren," I shouted at him, "Stop beating yourself up! You have the most guts of all of us. None of us even moved. We were all too scared."

Nods of agreement rippled through our group. The telltale sounds of maneuver gear reached my ears.

Two officials, Ian and Mitabi, were heading towards us.

"Is everyone alright?"

We all nodded, except for Sasha, who brought forward the limp body of Samuel Linke-Jackson.

"He's still alive, Sir," Sasha said, "But he's unconscious."

The Ian gave a shrill whistle, and a few seconds later two medics arrived, bearing a stretcher and bandages.