Chapter Twenty-One

During the next two days, I was visited by many of my comrades. All of them looked uneasy, and were all haltingly awkward. It wasn't that I hated getting company. I just hated the tension and mistrust that radiated off of every person who came to visit.

Jean was one of the only people who wasn't awkward. He visited me regularly, sometimes bringing En along. I had yet to see Marco, but I was sure that he wouldn't stand in awkward silence and fidget with his sleeves.

Eren hadn't been to visit either. Armin and Mikasa came to see me, and informed me that he was imprisoned until his trial.

"Trial?" I repeated.

"Yes," Armin said, "Some military leaders believe that Eren is a threat, while others think he could be useful to humanity. This trial will decide his fate."

Mikasa's face grew steadily paler as Armin said this.

"Which is why we must be at the hearing," she said firmly, "So that no harm comes to him."

"The reason we are needed at the hearing," Armin corrected, "Is because we witnessed Eren coming out of the Titan's body."

"Does that mean I am required to come as well?" I asked.

Armin shook his head. "They have only requested that Mikasa and I come."

"But I'm a witness, too," I said, "Why can't I be there?"

Armin rubbed his neck. "I think they believe your trustworthiness is lessened due to the fact that you deceived us."

I sighed in irritation.

"Just because of that, I'm now considered untrustworthy?"

As the words came out of my mouth, Armin rubbed his neck again. "Um, yeah. Kind of."

"That was stupid of me. Sorry."

"It was only a bit stupid," Mikasa commented, "You are right to be angry. You care about Eren, as do I."

I gave Mikasa a brief smile of thanks. "I'm just worried. I don't want anything to happen to Eren. He's done nothing wrong."

Armin shot an anxious look at Mikasa. "Well-"

Mikasa cut him off, standing up.

"I'm glad you are doing alright, Ilsa. Keep resting your ankles, and get plenty of sleep."

"Sure, Mikasa."

As they left, Armin turned back.

"I feel like I knew all along," he said, "that you were a girl, I mean. I couldn't place it at the time, but things make sense now."

"I wouldn't expect anything but the best from you, Armin."

Jean's next visit brought a hailstorm of emotion. Jean's eyes hadn't yet lost that vacant, sad look.

"You alright, mate?" I asked him as he took a seat next to my bed.

I had been promoted from a bench to a bed after one of the patients had been deemed healed. Unsurprisingly, it was easier to sleep on a bed.

Jean shook his head. "I've been trying to stop thinking about it."

"About what?"

Jean shook his head again, trying to smile. I looked down, and saw his hands were shaking. "I've been helping with...cleanup."

I didn't need to ask further. Cleanup was another word for registering and disposing of the dead bodies after a battle, a job often given to the lower-ranked soldiers.