Chapter Twelve

We rushed into the street, turning into alleyways and dashing through abandoned markets until we reached the evacuation gates.

So far, there were only two groups of ten people helping to evacuate over three hundred citizens. The Garrison members looked harassed and about to cry from stress.

Commander Hanz waded his way through the crowd, shouting orders.

"Benjamins, Gustafsson, Thomas, and Favonius, make your way to the boat evacuation station! Larsson, Azman, Smithe, you all stay here and prevent citizens from returning to the city! Kendrick, Baker, and Black, you all come with me for crowd control!"

We all dashed to our respective positions. I found myself next to En and Nori. There were a few previous Garrison members with us, all with sweat pouring from their bodies.

"Nearly all the citizens are through the gate," one of them said, "But there will be stragglers. There always are."

About three minutes later, a horde of citizens came through, and we waved them on, pointing in the direction of the evacuation boats.

"Please remain calm!" One of the officials shouted, "You are all going to have the chance to be put on a boat-"

"SEAN!"

I scanned the crowd, trying to see who had cried out. It was an elderly woman. Tears were seeping across her leathery face.

"SEAN!" she screamed again, "SEAN! MY GRANDSON! I NEED TO FIND HIM!"

She turned around and began to fight her way against the tide of citizens. She was almost crushed under their desperation.

I leapt into the crowd, swimming towards her. I grabbed her arm and pulled her to the side.

"Thank you, sir," she said, gazing up tearily, "I need to find my grandson, Sean. He's only four, and know he's still back there! I need to go find him!"

"I'm sorry, ma'am," I said, "I can't let you do that. It would be putting your own life at risk. It's possible that your grandson is in the crowd now-"

"No, he isn't! He's got a lame leg, and I lost him in the crowd! He won't be able to keep up, and he'll-he'll-"

"What is your name, ma'am?" I asked her.

"Lisa Young, but-"

"You go and get on one of the boats. If your son shows up, we will direct him to you, alright?"

"But-"

"Ma'am," I interrupted, "I am not allowed to let you go back. You need to get on the boats before it's too late."

The woman turned to join the surge of humans, then stopped short and turned around. Her frail hands grasped mine, pulling me to meet her pleading eyes.

"Please," she whispered, "Please, save my grandson."

"I will, ma'am. Now please, go to the boats."

She smiled softly, and slipped away to join the throng heading toward safety.I stood there for a moment, frozen in shock.

What do I do?

I stood still, ideas chattering in my head, making it hard to think clearly. I staggered over to En.

"What's up, Larrson?" he asked, "You okay?"

"Yeah," I replied, "I just am trying to decide what to do."

I related to him the story of the old woman and her grandson.