Chapter Seventeen

By the next day, I was feeling better.

At least that was what I told the medics.

"I swear that nothing hurts," I said.

Trish, my medic, frowned. "I think you should stay here a bit longer. Your ankles-"

"Are fine," I said.

This was partly true. I had bandaged my ankles well, and they did throb a bit, but I was positive they were healing quickly.

Trish sighed, "I'm sorry, but I can't let you go. Unless you are able to walk."

"I can," I insisted, getting out of the bed, "I can walk." 

I took a few steps. There was a bit of pain, but not much. Even I was surprised by my progress.

"See? I can walk. I'm fine, Trish."

"Alright," Trish said, "I'll let you go. We have more people coming in who need the bed more than you did."

"Thanks," I said, grabbing my boots and sliding them on. I felt exhilaration as I walked out of the infirmary. It had begun to feel stuffy and restrictive throughout my stay.

I made my way down to the refueling floor. I had been pretty isolated, and had no idea what had been happening since my hospitalization. I had heard cannon fire and once, a brief flash of light, but no one answered my questions or told me anything.

I saw Jean refilling his blades.

"Hey, Kirstein," I called.

Jean looked up. "Out already?"

"Yeah. I'm feeling fine."

Jean cocked an eyebrow in suspicion, but then shrugged. "If you say so."

There was a brief silence, then all of my questions burst forth.

"What's going on, mate? What's happening? Are we fighting? Where's Eren?"

"Well," Jean sighed, "It's a looooong story."

"Tell me about it," someone said.

Nori was approaching us. He was sporting a bandage over his forehead and had numerous bruises, but looked fine otherwise.

"Oh, hey," I said, "What happened to your face, mate?"

Nori became obsessed with looking for more blades. "Nothing."

Jean smirked. "He just doesn't want to say that he tripped over his own feet."

"I-You-" Nori's pale face grew pink. "I did not! I fell, okay? I was running and I fell over a bench."

"Okay," I said, "But does anyone know what's going on?"

"Yes," Nori said, "Basically, Eren was almost blown to smithereens by Kitz Werman and his soldiers, but then Dot Pixis showed up and saved Eren, Mikasa, and Armin's necks. I think Pixis believes Eren could be used to help humanity or something, and he's forming a plan of action right now."

"What are we doing?" I asked.

"Getting ready to die."

Jean swore. "Is that what Pixis expects us to do?"

Nori shrugged. "We are soldiers. This is our job."

"Jean," I said, "Just let it rest. We have no idea what Pixis is planning. Remember that this is Pixis we are talking about. He's a genius."

Jean grimaced. "I still have to get used to the dying part of being a soldier."

There was an uncomfortable silence. Nori fussed with his blades. I picked at my jacket. Jean glowered into the floor.