Chapter Thirteen

Tears were flowing freely down my face, blurring my vision as I tried to undo my 3DMG. After regaining consciousness, I had forced myself to sit up against the wall. The gear was growing tight on my legs, which meant that my legs were swelling. 

 It was hard to unbuckle the straps of the gear with one hand. As I worked, I could tell that my left arm wasn't broken, because I was able to move my joints. It was more probable that I had dislocated my shoulder. I did not look forward to relocating my arm, but it was necessary if I wanted to be able to use both hands. 

 I stripped off my jacket, wincing slightly. I stuffed it into my mouth to mask my imminent screams. 

 I remembered some of the first aid we had been taught in training. 

 Bend your elbow to form a 90 degree angle between your upper arm and your forearm.

 I did so, my cries muffled by the jacket in my mouth. 

 Turn your arm so that it is facing away from you, with your hand sticking out to your side rather than in front of you. Slowly rotate it upwards, so that you are moving your arm from the shoulder joint.

 I could feel tears dampening my jacket. 

 Move your arm from the shoulder slowly from your side to above your head.

 This final step caused me a great deal of discomfort, but the pain was deadened now. I let my arm gently fall to the floor, and finished unbuckling my gear. I pushed it away from my legs and removed my boots, feeling the pain roaring up my legs. 

 Just as I was about to inspect my legs, I heard the sound of large, heavy footsteps. I peered out the window next to me and saw a Titan passing by. I held my breath, pressing into the wall, hoping against hope that the Titan wouldn't see me. I heard some shouts from above, and could tell that military personnel were doing their job.

 A minute later, the ground trembled as the Titan hit the ground, sending up a cloud of steam. I was relieved that I didn't have to deal with that one. It looked like it had been another 15 meter class. 

 I returned my attention to my screaming legs. I tested the swelled areas, grimacing as pain shot up my leg. I tried to roll my right ankle. I was able to move it without too much pain. However, it still hurt. I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to walk on it. On that same leg, my knee was bleeding. It had been gashed on the street when I fell. Blood was seeping across the once pristine white fabric. I managed to rip away the damaged fabric of my pant leg and wrapped it around the wound to staunch the bleeding. 

 My left leg was in about the same condition as my right; not nearly as bloody, but pretty beat up. 

 I was pretty sure my ankles were sprained. It was going to be a huge struggle to get out of here if I couldn't walk. 

 I scanned the shop I was in, hoping to find something to use as a bandage for my wounds. It was apparently some sort of greengrocer's store. Fruits and vegetables were plenty, but there was nothing I could see that would act as a bandage. 

 The longer I sat there, the drier my mouth became, my lips beginning to crack and bleed from the lack of moisture. I could hardly moved because of the pain coursing down my legs. 

 I slowly began to scooch across the store floor, pulling myself up using one of the shop counters as a support. On this counter was an array of vegetables. 

 Well, on the bright side, I wasn't about to starve, as long as I didn't bleed to death first. I could feel the pain worsening as I attempted to stand.