𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐯. 𝐝𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 𝐝𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐

( 𝘨𝘪𝘧: 𝘫𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘳𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘯 𝘵𝘰 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘴 𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘰𝘸 )

└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

𝗧𝗛𝗘𝗥𝗘 𝗪𝗘𝗥𝗘 𝗧𝗜𝗠𝗘𝗦 𝗜𝗡 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗙𝗨𝗧𝗨𝗥𝗘 𝗪𝗛𝗘𝗥𝗘 𝗖𝗛𝗘𝗥𝗥𝗬 𝗔𝗧𝗧𝗘𝗠𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗗 𝗧𝗢 𝗜𝗗𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗜𝗙𝗬 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗠𝗢𝗠𝗘𝗡𝗧 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗦 𝗛𝗔𝗗 𝗦𝗘𝗧 𝗧𝗛𝗘𝗠𝗦𝗘𝗟𝗩𝗘𝗦 𝗢𝗡 𝗔 𝗣𝗔𝗧𝗛 𝗢𝗙 𝗜𝗡𝗘𝗩𝗜𝗧𝗔𝗕𝗟𝗘 𝗖𝗢𝗟𝗟𝗜𝗦𝗜𝗢𝗡.

Future Cherry often thought it was Liz and TJ's wedding that begun her and Jess's crash course. After all, your future self is always able to see what your present self is blind to. Perhaps it was returning to Stars Hollow, making them return to their old ways, their habits that kept dividing the two. 

Because of that, the two had decided to pretend his birthday had never happened. Instead of addressing the elephant in the room and clearing the air, the two buried themselves busy ─ Jess had his head buried into his computer, writing most of the day if he wasn't in Truncheon, and Cherry covered more shifts at the restaurant and sent her CV to a few photography related jobs.

Being busy allowed them that avoidance, until Liz and TJ's wedding rolled around mid-February. Renaissance-themed, the ceremony had been beautiful, with Jess walking his mother down the aisle. Now, night had fallen on the town as everyone kept celebrating, either dancing to the music or enjoying the food. Jess strolled across the grass, eyes searching for his girlfriend. His hands were hidden inside the pockets of his suit ─ he had refused to wear anything Renaissance-themed, and Cherry had convinced him to at least were something formal. So there he was. 

Eyes finally landing on Cherry, he couldn't help but keep holding his breath at the way the green velvet of her dress caressed her curves. Perhaps the distance lately had made the heart fonder. Her eyes seemed to find his, like some sort of magnet, as she excused herself from a conversation before heading towards him, a flute of champagne nearly empty in her hand. 

"Thank God I got out of that conversation," she muttered, rolling her eyes slightly in amusement.

Jess mustered a smile, glancing around curiously. "Hey, care for a dance?"

Cherry's eyes glanced at him, hesitating as she kept her eyes trained on his jaw. Dancing was a dangerous game. Licking her lips, she raised an eyebrow. "I thought you didn't like dancing?"

Shrugging, Jess held out his hand. "It's not every day we return to Stars Hollow."

Drinking what was left of her champagne, Cherry set her purse and the glass on the nearest table before her soft hand took his, following Jess' lead to the dance floor. Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted Lorelai and Luke waltzing together, laughing over one thing or another. "Guess some things never change, do they?"

Following her gaze, Jess smiled softly. "It's about time. It was so obvious." 

Facing him again, Cherry tilted her head. "It's weird being back in Stars Hollow after such a long time. All we ever dreamed about was getting out of here." 

"Yet here we are."

 A burst of giggles made Cherry watch the blissful newlyweds share their first dance. "Your mom looks beautiful." 

"She is." Jess agreed, a soft mutter leaving his lips before he cleared his throat. "She genuinely looks happy. I hope it lasts."

Cherry knew what he was thinking ─ if she was always capable of happiness, then why wasn't he enough to make her feel like that? Those kind of thoughts often crossed her mind, the why wasn't she enough for her father to stay. But those thoughts never amount to anything, only to knock yourself down. So she offered a distraction. "Also, am I ever going to be allowed to read any drafts of your book?"

Jess shook his head tiredly, a hint of amusement in his eyes. "Not until it's finished."

"Which is when?" Cherry retorted, raising an eyebrow.

Jess hesitated. "Truncheon gave me June as a deadline for a final draft."

"Think you'll have it finished by then?"

"I hope so." he tilted his head, giving Cherry a twirl. "It's not meant to be very long anyways, so don't have high expectations." 

Cherry rolled her eyes at his attempt to undermine himself, but didn't contradict him. She knew better than arguing with Jess when he was set in his ways. Instead, she took a moment to admire him, as his gaze glanced around Stars Hollow. It had been a while since the two had gotten a chance to just be them two. Either they were too busy, and when they got a chance to hang out, there were other people involved. And Cherry didn't protest ─ she cherised any time she got to spend with him. But it was hard, sometimes. 

Opening her mouth, she gathered the courage to say those three words that had been tossing around her mind all day. "I miss you."

"I'm right here." Jess responded, a tired look in his eyes.

And that's when Cherry felt stupid ─ stupid for feeling the way she did.

"Excuse the interruption," Luke added, saving Cherry from having to respond. "But your phone keeps ringing in your purse. Thought it might be important."

Sharing a confused look with Jess, she shrugged. "Well, guess I have to check it out. If you excuse me, boys."

Walking towards the table she had left her purse in, Cherry dug around before flipping her phone open and pressing it to her ear. "Hello?" she listened in silence as the person on the other line started to explain everything to her. "Wait . . . I got the job?"

A wide grin spread across her face, but before she could celebrate the other person continued explaining. The smile faded slightly, chewing on the bottom of her lip. "Oh. I see. Yes, I'll let you know." 

Flipping her phone shut, Cherry stared at it before turning to search for Jess, who was in deep conversation with Luke. 

The job was in Paris. And she had until June to let them know about her decision. 

only three chapters left of act two! 

i KNOW this is a short chapter but i'm mid exams so trying my best