Chapter Thirteen

They took a seat in the waiting area wondering how long it would take before hearing anything.
"Do you think we should call Ty Lou".
"Let's wait till we know what's wrong Grampa".
A nurse came out after an hour to say that Mr Isaacs was performing more tests so it would be a little longer, they thanked her for letting them know. Jack had phoned Lisa who was now on her way.
It was another hour before the Nurse came out asking them to follow her to Mr Isaacs office.
They sat down but didn't notice any worry in the Neurologists face.

"Right  I'm sorry it's taken so long but we had to check for the normal problems that Amy was showing first.
There's no signs of infections and she doesn't have Meningitis. I then did three scans of her brain which is why it took so long, they were computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and positive emission tomography (PET). The later gave me what I was looking for.
Although Amy still can't see at the moment at least,  her pupils have started reacting to light, and the scan showed what I was hoping for eventually.
Her cortical brain synapses are trying to repair themselves and, or trying to find a different route which is why she's suffering these headaches".
"Are you saying she could get her sight back".
"I would have to say that the tests and pupil responses are pointing that way yes".
Lou burst into happy tears as did Lisa.
"Now I've given Amy a strong painkilling injection and I've sedated her just for a while to give her a break,  you can go and see her but she's perfectly fine, Nurse Sarah will take you to her".
"Thanks Doc".
They started to walk out when Mr Isaacs then asked Lou to stay a minute as he needed to ask her a personal question about Amy.
"The reason I asked you to stay is because the medication I'm going to put Amy on will need to be monitored, there very strong and I take it she's not suicidal or anything also one of them could interfere  with birth control. Do you know if she's on anything, I ask because I know she's engaged".
"As far as I know she isn't on anything because I don't think there having sex until they get married but I'd have to ask her as the've been together since she was 16yrs old and that was there decision when she was 18, so whether that's  changed I don't know".
"Okay, if you keep her medication and fill out this dosage chart".
"God, how strong are they".
"Well it's to keep the pain at bay, the other two are to help the synapses and reduce the pain as well".
"Yeah, I  can do that, what about Amy's slurred speech".
"It's probably down to her brain trying to rewire itself or the headaches which must of been excruciating, but I am waiting for the blood test results to see if it's a blood clot, however I'm not expecting there to be one".
"Okay thank you Mr Isaacs".
The Nurse had just returned and took Lou to Amy's room.

Later that afternoon Lou phoned Ty to update him on what had happened, he was going to come straight back but Lou suggested he give it a couple of days and inform the boss of the Clinic he may have to leave, Amy would be asleep for two or three days before being allowed home.

To be continued

Authors Note.
All the medical references are true and researched from Medical Journals from the Neurologists website.