Prologue

The forest floor was cold against my paws. The wind whipped the fur on my back viciously. My heart pounded against my chest with raw excitement.

The deer poked his head up. Immediately my whole body froze, my right paw left dangling in midair. The deer twisted his head around in a ninety-degree angle looking for a sign of danger. His eyes rested on mine. My heart sank but my mind tried to distract me. It doesn't know what it's looking at. It doesn't know what it's looking at. It doesn't know what-

The deer suddenly dropped his head to the grass below and continued grazing. I felt my muscles lung toward to animal but I knew better than that. That would be a foolish move. An immature one.

I crept closer.

My right paw slowly and softly touched the earth floor, the damp mud slightly sinking around the pressure of my paw. One paw after the other. My tail wanted to whip back and forth from all the excitement. I felt the vibration of the wag tingle throughout my tail. But that would only cause attention. I drug it along on the dirt ground.

I was so close. So close that I feared that the deer would hear my heartbeat. He had to feel the tension in the air that I felt but he continued with his grazing. I was seriously a fallen tree log away.

Then he did it. He turned and gave himself full vulnerability. Mine, I thought and nearly growled aloud.

I lunged forward; my muscles tightened my pure excitement and joy.

Mine, I thought again before I gave the deer the kiss of death.