Chapter 8

Suddenly we both heard a loud howl echo throughout the forest.

"Colton, did you miss me?" the howl interpreted into the wind.

What?

I quickly grew nervous. Who would say something like that?

Colton huffed angrily as he crawled off of me. "Dumbass Mason," he growled mostly to himself, but it answered my question.

I sighed with relief, even though I wasn't sure why.

I... I didn't like Colton, right? Right?

Right, I thought confidently.

I didn't like people. Like I had said before, I was not a people person. I didn't even like-like people, and I most definitely didn't love people.

I didn't know what love was. It didn't exist. Not in my world, at least.

I pushed myself up off the ground. I shook my body like a dog that was soaked in water, shaking off all the dust and dirt from my back.

We heard running footsteps in our direction. Colton laid lazily down onto the ground, but I could see his muscle tense up. He wasn't tired. His body was excited. He was excited.

Was that from me?

I sighed. Probably not.

Suddenly, a dark brown wolf appeared from the trees. He barked happily at the black wolf who laid on the ground. "Colton!" Mason greeted him in another high sounding bark.

Colton laid his ears flat against his head, trying to ignore the high noise.

I chuckled at the sight, the sound rumbling throughout my chest. Mason heard my laughter and snapped his head in my direction. When he saw me, his tail began to wag. He barked at me like he had done to Colton. "Skylar! God, you look different when you don't have your mind set on killing me."

Colton growled at that, but I chuckled some more. He was right. I wasn't used to seeing his wolf all happy and... well, young. He was like a overgrown puppy, just bouncy and full of life.

It was kind of freaky to think this wolf had broken my arm. He once had his mind set on killing me too. And now he was barking happily at the sight of me.

Suddenly, Colton jumped from lying on the ground and pushed the brown wolf to the ground, surprising both Mason and I. I leaped a few steps back. Colton snapped at Mason's ears, causing him to cry out in pain.

"Ow! Colton, what the hell?" Mason jumped away from the black wolf, but Colton was already done with him. Colton was walking away, toward a giant boulder under a shady tree. He jumped up and laid on the boulder, his black fur hiding him in the darkness. His bright, gray eyes were the only things gave his presence away.

"That's for breaking the lamp," Colton told Mason.

But Mason quickly shook it off, turning his attention toward me. He was quick to ignore Colton. "Hi Skylar," he barked excitedly at me.

I stood there, observing the dark brown wolf that stood in front of me. He stood tall even though he was the shortest one out of the guys. Even so, he was a good few inches above my head. His fur was pretty, the different colors of brown swirled around like a chocolate milkshake. His eyes were basically black, to the point where I could see my reflection in them.

I stood stiff, not letting myself relax. Honestly, even though I would never admit it out loud, I was intimidated by the two wolves. I wasn't exactly comfortable with trusting them all the way. I was like that with everyone though- everyone except Daniel.