Chapter 7

Daniel and Mason left the house to go buy another lamp that looked exactly like Daniel's mother's now-broken lamp. Because neither of the boys had cars, they had to take Jordan's jeep. And because Jordan is a stubborn and over-protective jackass, he wouldn't let either of the boys drive the car (even though Daniel had his license). He had also been the one to push Mason into the lamp, so he was just as much guilty. So Jordan gave them a ride.

And that left me alone with Colton.

I swear the guy was so mysterious it was throwing me off. He was dark and quiet-- he was everything I didn't expect him to be. But I was done acting weird around him. So I decided to ignore him.

We were walking toward the forest now. We decided to leave Daniel's house since Jordan and Mason ate everything in sight. Daniel's mother had also restricted all the "inappropriate" channels from the only television in the house in sake of keeping her seventeen year old son's mind "clean".

Right.

Even though no one's mother overtopped my mine, I had to admit that Daniel's mom was pretty fucked up.

When we finally reached the forest's edge, I stopped in my tracks. Colton on the other hand kept walking.

"I'm not phasing in front of you," I let him know, saying the words to his back.

Colton stopped in his tracks and turned on the heel of his foot. A shocked look ran across his face. "Why?" he asked in disbelief.

I shrugged and walked ahead of him, deeper into the forest. "Maybe, I don't feel safe enough to phase in front of you."

Colton shook his head, almost seeming angry at my words. "What? That doesn't even make sense! You'd be safer in your wolf form. You're weak as a human."

I laughed out loud. "Weak," I chuckled the word.

"You are," he growled. "Plus, I'm part of your pack now- I'm your beta. It doesn't matter if you want to phase or not."

I looked over my shoulder and raised an eyebrow. "It doesn't?" I stopped myself from smirking.

Colton just outright growled at me.

Cute.

I shrugged and continued to walk deeper into the forest. If I was going to be alone with him, I wasn't going to be the awkward one. I wanted to be the teasing asshole. He could be the awkward one.

Colton's POV:

She was being so damn complicated!

Why didn't she want to phase in front of me? It's not like she would be naked when she phased back into her human form. There was no problem! She just wanted to make it a problem.

"You know," I growled at her in a low, warning voice. "There are things out here that will kill you while you're in your human form. Like bears, and other wolves..." And bunny rabbits, and squirrels.

She wasn't listening to me.

Fine.

I jumped into the air, throwing my arms out in front of me. I shifted into my wolf, silently hitting the earth floor on my paws with a soft thud. I shook my body, like a dog who just came out of water, getting used to the cold temperature. I perked my ears up, listening for anything.

We were alone in the forest. For now, at least.

Skylar was now far ahead of me, at least a good fifty feet. I began following the girl, letting her lead me into the forest. Her forest.

It was her forest because she was the one who was familiar with it. This place was far from my home. In all honesty, Redwood sucked. It just did. It was cold as fuck, the town was small, and the people were boring.