Chapter 12: First Steps

Wilbur didn't want to move when he first woke up. He felt comfortable and he was warm, so sue him.

He nuzzled his face further in a pillow he was currently holding onto, breathing in a familiar scent that made his magpie half chirp happily. It took a minute or so for him to realize through the haze of warm feelings and fuzzy instincts that he was in Ace's bed again.

Slowly peeling an eye open, he recognized the blankets and the varying scents. Mentally acknowledging that yes, he was in the villain's bedroom again.

And then he realized that there was a wing draped over him that wasn't his own, an arm wrapped around him as well. He recognized the starburst scar on the slightly tanned skin, he even recognized a few small puncture scars that were made by his own talons.

Turning his head slightly, he glanced over to see his nemesis currently clinging to his back, and could feel the shorter's legs tangled with his own.

For a brief moment, Wilbur felt a flash of panic as he wondered what the fuck had happened. Last he remembered he had been back at the tower-

And then it came back to him.

The other night...his argument with Techno. The anger and the distress. The tangled emotions that he had been trying to unravel.

How he had run to Ace (Quackity-his name was Quackity) for comfort.

He blushed as he remembered that they had kissed.

The hero (former hero) carefully reached two fingers up to lightly touch his lips in the memory, frozen as it all came rushing back.

What the fuck had he agreed to?

Fuck, fuck, fuck. He was a fucking traitor. He had abandoned his family.

What was wrong with-

Wilbur froze, feeling the shorter avian shift behind him, the arm that had been wrapped around him stretching in unison with the shrike avian's wing. Despite knowing that it'd be useless, the taller rested his head back on the pillows, closing his eyes and pretending to be asleep.

He just wanted to avoid the conversation for a little bit longer (his magpie just wanted to snuggle back into the nest-wait. Wait, shit, Quackity had kept the fucking nest he made in tact).

The villain hummed a lazy little noise before yawning, actively pulling Wilbur closer to him with his arm and wing. The taller may have squeaked a bit, causing the other to chuckle.

"Morning, songbird," Quackity said, words slow with morning dreariness. "Er... whatever time it is. Doesn't matter."

When the magpie avian answered him with silence, actively trying to slow his breathing to make it seem like he was sleeping, his nemesis hummed a little.

"I can tell you're awake, Wil," he said. "Your heart's racing and there's not much you can do about that. Also you gave yourself away with that squeak there."

"S-shut up," the taller grumbled, voice and accent heavy with morning dreariness.

Quackity was quiet before nuzzling the former hero's back, "Your voice is hot."

Wilbur tried to stutter out a response but really couldn't figure out how to respond to that. The shorter just chuckled a bit at his reaction before sighing softly in contentment.

"This still okay, songbird? Or do you want me to let go?" He asked.

The magpie avian took a minute to self reflect before reaching up to lightly place his hand on top of the other's, "It's... this is okay."