Chapter 16: You'll Never Forget Me Now

Wilbur stood on the roof of the casino, wings spread wide to catch the morning sun.

It had been a while since he felt the sun on his wings, he had forgotten how nice it could feel. He supposes now he'd probably be exposed to light a bit more. He would be in the spotlight from now on, and he'd make sure that they never forget his new name.

He was excited, nerves buzzing just under his skin as his wings fluttered slightly. Shaking off some loose feathers in order to make Quackity's job easier later, for now, however, he just enjoyed basking in the sunlight. It was relaxing as he contemplated all the events that brought him to this point.

If you had told him four months ago that he would gain a nemesis, form a bond, end up running to his nemesis for comfort, and then become a villain while dating said nemesis? He would've called you crazy, laughed, and then arrested you.

Not necessarily in that order.

But looking back on it all? Wilbur felt at peace with his decision.

From their first meeting on that rooftop, to the day he collapsed into Quackity's arms in tears, if he could go back in time and change the past, he'd leave it as is. He's happy here, and he recognizes that at least Quackity steered him in a more...productive direction.

He was able to acknowledge that if he had never met the shrike avian, he would've eventually spiraled under his family's legacy. He would've lost his mind under the pressure of trying to please someone who wouldn't settle for anything less than perfection. He wasn't his brother, he'd never be like Techno despite being twins.

But he was fine with that. And he can be happy with that fact. He wasn't Techno.

He was Wilbur.

And after today? The world would never forget his name again.

All of his captures had been credited to the family, not him.

That was unfair.

His brother was the golden child of their family, overshadowing him no matter what he did.

And he was allowed to be angry at it.

He was human, it was unreasonable to expect him to be perfect. He was just as flawed as everybody else.

And that was okay.

Tilting his head up to the sky as the sun warmed his wings, Wilbur breathed deeply. The fallen hero smiled, reflecting on his time at the casino compared to the tower.

He loved it here, and so long as he could help it, he'd never return to the tower again.

Well...maybe to steal Tommy at some point, but that plan was a work in progress. He'd yet to run it by Quackity and still had some details to smooth out.

But for the sake of theatrics, he'd never return to the tower again.

Truly, he felt like today would be a good one. They had the plan ready to go, all that was left was to execute the idea.

He was nervous, of course. But the excitement won over his nerves quickly.

He was ready.

Wilbur heard the door to the roof open and close, a yawn and the ruffle of wings informing him of Quackity's presence. He felt his partner hug him before shifting to lock arms with him. Their wings brushed in silent greeting.

"You ready?" Quackity asked.

"Yeah," Wilbur agreed. "I'm ready."

They both smiled, watching the clouds shift with the breeze as the sun rose higher in the sky.