Chapter One: The Oath

The wind cracked and howled as the thunderheads collided in angry sparks of powerful rage above. It tore leaves and ripped branches from the trees while flooding the earth with a barrage of sinking rain. The ferocious storm bombarded the mountainous forests of Algaza for many hours while a young man, with nothing but his warhorse, made his trek through it; though, not without purpose.

The galloping steps and the clacks of the horse's armor were barely audible over the screeching, monstrous storm above. However, this young man, even if he did not personally favor this purpose, always held his oaths to be true, and as he escaped the dark unforgiving paths of Algaza, he entered a rocky clearing where the rain water flew in streams down the mountain. The young commander, slowed his horse and tried to look past the onslaught of rain pelting his face. In the distance, he saw what he had come for.

A tall golden-haired man stood untouched by the rain, next to a deep, filling well. In his arms, he was holding a newborn wrapped in white cloth. As Varus approached, the man turned to see him, his expression becoming more at ease with his arrival.

"Varus, my younger brother." The blonde man's eyes shined at the sight of him and his gaze filled with nostalgia.

"Oh, how time changes us." Varus shifted his eyes into the storm that was barraging him, then turned back to his brother. By some sort of sorcery, he still remained untouched by the storms salty tears.

"I do remember those days so long ago, when we would explore the old ruins of Mendra as children." The unspoiled, golden-haired man was relishing in past memories as if he knew something Varus did not. Varus shifted on his horse and looked down at his brother's feet as the rain fell in a circle around him, leaving a ring of land completely dry.

"I did not come here to relive days once past, Azalon." Varus spoke in a guarded tone. His eyes were hard and sharp as Azalon's gaze dropped to the cloth he held in his arms.

"Ah, yes, of course." Azalon spoke, letting the rain fill the silence for many moments before continuing. "I will return to you as soon as it is over." Azalon's expression became a serious and grave one. "Won't you watch over her until then?" Azalon pulled back the cover of the small child's wrapping to expose her tiny, sleeping face.

Varus' gaze remained one of contempt as the thunder boomed once more. Varus reached out reluctantly with one hand to the child. Azalon's eyes pained at the thought of leaving his precious, young daughter. He brought her face to his and whispered in her ear. He knew she could not hear him or understand, but he did it to ease his own mind.

"I will always protect you, Ama."

He held her for a few moments more before giving her over to Varus.

"Remember, I do not do this for you, brother." Varus' voice echoed like the fearsome commander he was. "Leaving all those men behind was never for you."

"For our kin." Azalon's expression was like one Varus had seen at war; one filled with the rage and fury of bloodshed. Varus wondered what was going on inside his brother's troubled head. Through all the hardships their brotherhood faced, Azalon was still his only brother.

All of his life, Varus had been overlooked by their late mother, in favor of Azalon. But he had to admit, Azalon truly was a great sorcerer and a great man.

Varus held the child closer to him; though, she was still untouched and unaffected by the rainfall.

"Solis walks with us, brother," Varus said, almost without thinking.

Azalon looked up with a shocked expression but then smiled brightly. "Indeed. Safe travels be with you."

And with that Varus turned his horse to head back down the rocky path back to Algaza.

Before he entered the forest, Varus thought to look back, but pride overcame him and he continued on into the tree line without turning. As his horse trotted along through the winding forest, he held securely to the small child. She had been fast asleep through the exchange and remained immersed in slumber. The rain became sparse and looked as if it was dying down, and as it did, the forest became eerily quiet.

Varus slowed his horse as the silence began to fill the damp air around them, and he turned back to the mountain in which Azalon would still be. Then, as if there was a great lion commanding the clouds, an ear-splitting boom echoed across the land. It lasted for many moments, striking the smallest spell of fear within Varus' heart. He waited for a moment as it subsided and then realized something odd: there was no flash—no lightning.

He worried about his brother and the enemy he must be facing. Varus looked down at Azalon's daughter and clenched his teeth, there was nothing he could do for his brother now, except for protect his precious daughter.

His hand gripped the leather reins of the warhorses' saddle and he began to push forward unenthusiastically. They trotted slowly down the mountain with nothing but the sound of hooves against the wet, grainy soot below.

Silence hung thick in the air, when suddenly the entire forest lit up with a beaming cerulean light. Varus halted his horse and quickly turned to look back at the mountain. He saw a giant bolt of light in the distance, past the rocky clearing where he had met Azalon. His stomach churned at the thought of what must be happening. Then, instinctively, he felt the need to make haste for the mountain's exit.

Hecommanded his horse forward, while holding tightly to the small child. Themountain began to shake and roar as the battle that took place on its slopesescalated. Varus knew that whatever horrors Azalon was facing, he must do italone.