Chapter Thity-Seven :Upon The Mountain

Calhūn and Korvon rushed past the hidden door that had been used to capture the prince and into the dark halls above the wraith kingdom. Cal looked into the darkness and placed his hand to his lips. With the escape of a whistle he heard his horse nay in the distance. "This way," he said to the prince as they began their hurried pace towards the sound of the stallion.

Behind them they heard the shrieks of the enraged wraiths that followed them. They rushed to his horse and quickly mounted. Calhūn slapped down on the reigns of his faithful Syndra and she began her gallop for the exit.

They weaved in between the curving maze while listening to the pounding steps of the army that followed them. As they turned left around one corner and right around another, the sunlight from the exit shone far in the distance. Relief washed over them for a moment and Korvon looked back at the approaching cloud of monsters—they were closing in on them, and fast. They might be frail, boney, creatures but by the grace of evil did they move like the winds of smoke.

"Fasten your pace, Knight!" Korvon yelled.

Calhūn furrowed his brows at the prince's ridiculous command. "Do you not think I am pushing at full velocity!?" Calhūn yelled beyond the sound of the thunderous army that was encroaching upon them.

The edges of the wraiths blades were almost touching the hairs of Syndra's tail. "Faster!!" Korvon yelled once more, watching as the tip of a blade was about to pierce the very skin of their stallion.

By the dexterity of luck, light poured all around them as the cave had become no more. A fiery blaze erupted amongst the cave door as a handful of wraiths had fallen into the sunlight. Their skin immediately became engulfed with flame.

The trio slowed down as they watched the harrowing cries of the creatures who were now being charred black by the sun. They watched as the creatures cracked and squirmed under the flames; the others quickly submerging themselves within the depths of the caverns. "They burn under the sun," Korvon spoke. "For the light of Demiurge burns them."

Calhūn looked towards the prince as he spoke of the creator of this realm. He then looked back towards the sizzled creatures and sighed.

Korvon continued, "Their master granted them passage under the sun. When my grandfather sacrificed himself to slay him, all their rights were stripped of them. Leaving them banished from the lands with all other Felfolk."

"Those stories are real?" Calhūn asked.

"Have you not seen enough to conclude that yourself?" The prince had a valid point.

Calhūn turned away from the death stricken creatures and towards the narrow path that led to the rocky slopes above. "Aye, and before they somehow are granted passage, let us move quickly," he said turning his horse away from the caves.

Korvon drew his gaze towards Calhūn.

"How did you do it?" Korvon asked. "How did you find me within those caverns?"

Calhūn glanced over his shoulder for a moment and then back to the rocky path in front of him.

"It took a great effort." He said. "I spent what seemed like days mapping out the caves with my knife. I made small incisions in the walls to keep my bearing. After a long while, I came upon a door which led into their kingdom. It was the most difficult to go unseen, and also to find you within that place. I saw you, when you faced the chimera, and I got a general idea of where they were keeping you from there."

"I cannot thank you enough." Korvon said with a heavy heart.

"Consider us even." Calhūn said with a smile. Without any further conversation, the two continued towards the plateau of the mountain eager to reach their destinies.