Chapter Twelve: Barren

Amalia came to a clearing at the end of the forest; her emotions continuing to sting in her throat. The path around her was empty, lifeless, there was nothing but the rocky slope around her and the beginnings of great mountainous peaks. With nothing more than the occasional moan from the passing wind, both she and her rider were alone on the edge of a strange and shape-shifting place.

Amalia looked ahead of them, and saw the trail cut between two sheer granite stones—the castle. She wondered for a moment what the King must be like; was he tall, short, old, young? She hoped, above all, that he would tell her of her origins, and if he could, find out where Calhūn's father was.

The thought of Cal stung her, she had never wanted to leave him behind, but now there was something else—something she had to do alone.

She gripped the reins on Seian's armor, a rush of determination surging through her. She knew she could conquer the mountain and find the King of the spirits. At least, she hoped.

As she neared the top of the pathway between the large granite stones, she felt the air become thicker. She felt a pulsing sensation all around her, and by some strange force, she felt as if she had passed through some kind of threshold. She shuddered as it swallowed her in, like the ravenous hunger of a wild beast.

Amalia looked at the sheer rock faces on either side of her and an ominous feeling washed over her. There were no sounds but the small gusts of wind and the crunch of pebbles and earth below their feet. In the air, she could smell earth and a hint of distant pine.

"Pursue the bridle path unto the elevated steeps.

With one you may pass the stages of torment.

Without, you will surely not escape.

Upon the plateau amidst the rocky summits; you will find the King of Spirits.

With whom, the secrets of your past may come to view."

The thought of the Emerald Tablet ran through her mind: King of Spirits. The idea of what might happen traveled through her consciousness. What will become of me once I arrive at his castle? Will he turn me away, am I worthy of his help? She gripped the reigns of her rider and continued on into the night.

As they neared the paths end, Amalia saw a dense grouping of trees with violet leaves and deep, navy blue trunks. They covered all the land besides a narrow stone-laid path. Amalia felt nervous and uneasy as they came to the violet forests edge. She looked into the dark unknown and then back up to the full moon, which was now coming out behind a group of clouds. As the moon's reflection gave light to her path, she felt a bit of courage return to her. Like a lantern in the dark, this shining light would now guide her way. She slipped off her rider and continued on into the amethyst forest gulping down her fear. 

A solitary wind slithered through the unnaturally colored leaves and the shaking branches around Amalia and her snow rider. They walked along the winding, seemingly endless pathway towards the promised King. The sound around them grew quieter and quieter.

Amalia felt the air chill as if an icy breath travelled down her spine. She felt uneasiness hanging in the air, like fresh smoke from a fire.

She placed a hand on the back of her snow rider's saddle and tried to ease Seian from the nervousness they both felt. Seian looked at her and then back to their surroundings with caution.

Amalia turned swiftly to her right as she heard the sound of leaves moving, as if an animal was stalking just beyond the visible tree line. Seian's ears flew back and the fur around his neck stood straight and tall. Amalia's eyes scanned rapidly at the area surrounding them, trying to find any sign of a perpetrator. She drew her dagger from its sheathe and squinted hard towards the distance.