Chapter Eleven: Left Behind

Calhūn sat across from his mother as they dined over freshly baked bread and her signature merkow stew—which Calhūn was extremely fond of.

Ezmelda Dawncla was a soft brunette, a homely woman with delicate features and a soft spoken nature. Calhūn noticed that with each passing day her expression drew more solemn; her depression was taking a toll on her body. The small lines across her face had turned into hard canyons and her eyes were glazed over with a mournful sadness. He watched her push around her bowl of stew with a hollow expression.

"You must eat," he said with a stern eye.

Ezmelda glanced up at her son and then back down at the cloth laid over her lap. "Forgive me," she paused for a moment. "Without your father, most tastes are bland."

"Even if it is bland, force yourself, for your health." He passed a piece of round bread to her plate. "And fate may bring him back to us." Calhūn smiled and took another spoonful of the colorful stag stew.

She smiled but her eyes were full of doubt. Calhūn knew that not a day passed without her wondering the whereabouts of her beloved husband.

She tore the bread and dunked it slowly into her stew, just as she was beginning to eat, a large repetitive bang came down upon their door. Ezmelda moved to stand but Calhūn raised his hand in protest while he removed the hand towel from his lap and rose.

"Let me," he spoke softly. As he stood, he made his way slowly towards the door.

"Calhūn!" A familiar voice yelled beyond its wooden frame. Calhūn's brows furrowed with confusion as he quickly rushed to open it.

With rain dripping off the tips of his nose and the ends of his hair, Varus stood out of breath and soaked through his clothes.

"Sir Uluven?" Calhūn said confused as to why Amalia's father would be at his doorstep in the midst of a horrible storm.

"Amalia is missing," he said with a shaky tone and a desperate expression. "She is not with you?"

Ezmelda stood at the comment with an expression almost as worried as Varus's.

"No," Calhūn said, he was confused.

Varus' expression became even more grim and his fists tightened in frustration. He looked back to Calhūn and Ezemelda. "If she comes here, please let me know."

Calhūn shook his head, and with a strong expression he met Varus' gaze. "I will accompany you."

Varus looked towards Ezmelda.

"Oh Lord, Solis," she spoke at a whisper. "In this weather?" Calhūn knew that his mother was afraid of losing him as well.

"Amalia is my greatest friend, Mother, she is family," he said with such a tone that left his mother with no choice.

"Be sure to bring back both of our children, Varus," Ezmelda said whilst looking directly into Varus' eyes.

"I'll make sure of it," he said turning back towards the storm outside and heading in the direction of his horse.

Calhūn grabbed a coat from their inlet near the front door and slipped it over his arms. His mother walked to him and put her hands to his face. "Be aware of yourself and come back to me."

"I won't leave you," he said holding onto her shoulders. "I will return." Ezmelda nodded and watched as her son turned and stepped out of the front door.

Calhūn walked out into the hail of rain and hurried over to the stables. He pushed past the heavy wooden doors and towards Syndra's stable. She looked up at him as he entered, surely wondering why he would come to her in the night.

"Forgive me for waking you," he said as he quickly strapped on her saddle. He slipped his foot though the stirrup and mounted onto his rider. He could hear Varus' horse outside, neighing and batting her feet against the muddy ground.

Calhūn commanded his rider towards the exit and into the soggy storm outside. He saw Varus turn and match his gaze with one full of thanks. Calhūn slowed as he approached and Varus spoke as they galloped along the dirt path towards the forest.

"Thank you, Cal," he said with a voice full of gratitude.

"There is no need for thanks, Sir. I would do anything for Amalia," Calhūn admitted. "Tell me, what has happened?" Calhūn asked as they rode steadfast into the large field.

Varus slowed his rider and Calhūn followed suit. The old commander held his gaze away for many moments, trying to hide the grim expression that overcome him.

"Sir?" Calhūn prodded.

"Perhaps at this moment we shall not worry of such matters." Varus stopped his horse and looked to Calhūn with a serious stare. "Let us just find my daughter." His voice shook with regret and his teeth clenched at the thought of his powerlessness. Even as a celebrated military man, there would be but one weakness for him: the women he loved.

The men continued their ride into Algaza and Calhūn took Varus to several of the spots that he and Amalia went on a regular basis—but she was nowhere to be found. The rain had made the ground into thick mud and nearly impossible to tread.

"Perhaps she will return in the morning," Calhūn said to the worrying father. "Your daughter is not one of halfwit. Even if she remains in the forest for tonight, it is unlikely she would perish."

"With nothing more than a dagger, you believe her to be capable on her own?" Varus spat in disbelief of Calhūn's words.

"Sir, of all the time I have spent with your daughter, there have been more moments than I can count where she did nothing but impress me. If anyone can survive a night in Algaza, it is your Amalia."

"You honestly believe that she can survive with a dagger she has no skill to use?" Varus asked with doubt in his voice.

Calhūn smiled at the thought of his dear friend and turned towards the man he desperately looked up to. "Even without the dagger, Sir."

"Perhaps you are right. As much as I dislike it, it would be best to continue at daybreak," Varus said with a tone that brought a slight shock to tender Cal. He wasn't expecting Varus to take his advice so easily. Calhūn had always looked up to Varus in his father's absence and Varus was a very hard-headed man.

"Aye, that would be wisest. Getting caught up in this storm may get us lost."

Varus nodded at the young man's words and gripped the reigns of his horse. Calhūn turned Syndra back towards the farm and they began to ride towards their homes.

Varus rode at par with Calhūn and turned to him. "When she returns, I will see to it that you shall be her husband. For there is no other in my eye more worthy of her hand."

These words sent a shudder through Calhūn and he could do nothing but nod in response. Varus turned silently towards his land and became lost amidst the powerful downpour of rain.