Chapter Thirty-Five: That Which Is Evident

"The words I speak are the truth," Amalia said, refusing to touch her tea until Osirian believed her. He sighed while setting his cup down onto his plate. He drew his gaze back to her.

"It's not that I do not believe in your words. It's just I do not see how it is possible, the volcanoes that surround this valley have not erupted for over a thousand years."

Amalia's expression became impatient. "If you had a dream that showed you a clear vision of the events to come, would you not believe it then?"

Osirian was taken aback by her words and thought of what he would say next with care. "Indeed, I would."

"Then you must understand that by the next full moon we must break the seal! Before it is impossible!" She spoke with an urgency in her tone.

Osirian's expression became pained. "Amalia, you do not understand how dangerous that seal is. If you do not break it correctly, it could cost you your life."

"And that I am willing to risk," she said courageously.

Osirian's fists clenched onto the wood of the table. "Do you not understand?" His voice cracked with anger and worry. "A sacrifice like that is not a noble one. I have no reason to leave this mountain, besides to follow you, and if you perished trying to free me—" His expression was clenched with pain. "Then I would graciously accept the flames of the volcano."

Amalia looked down upon the slow rise of the steam from her cup, watching as it dissipated into the air.

"Just please," he said with a voice full of despair. "Don't attempt to break the seal."

Her hands were trembling in her lap as he spoke. She didn't know how to respond, she wanted so desperately to be with him, yet every option seemed like they were being dragged apart.

"Promise me," he said looking directly at her. She collapsed at the meeting of his deep, amber eyes.

"I promise," she said, not knowing if it was a lie or not. She raised her cup of hot tea to her lips and gulped a few mouthfuls of it down.

Osirian nodded and reached out for his cup. He watched it in silence for a moment. "I can't lose you, Amalia." He put his hand over his mouth, guarding his pained expression. "I know I probably don't deserve it, but your presence is the greatest gift this world has ever blessed me with."

As he spoke, Amalia's eyes widened and her entire body shuddered with a jolt. "Losing you," he continued, "would be like the tragedy of being trapped here happening all over again. Only this time, it would be in a new layer of Hell." He spoke so profoundly that Amalia felt as if a piece of her heart had cracked.

"I promise," she said and shook, trying not to choke on the lump forming in her throat. She lowered her head to conceal her emotions. "I won't go after the seal." She rose her head slightly to face him. "And I promise I won't leave you."

Osirian reached out his hand to hers and Amalia felt her energy come back down into a slow, steady rhythm. She gave Osirian a slight smile in return.

"I have a proposal," he said with a cat-like smirk creeping to his lips.

"And what might that be?" she asked with impervious interest. Osirian stood while still holding onto her hand and moved next to her.

"Dance with me," he said trying to change the mood.

"There is no music?" She was confused and a bit nervous—she was never that adept to dancing.

"If you open your mind you will hear it," he said smiling. Amalia stopped herself for a moment, trying to open her mind to his. She felt the warmth of his consciousness, slowly mingling its way into hers. Then, she began to hear the soft plucks of a guitar amidst a choir of instruments. Osirian was sharing a memory he had with her—the memory of a song. She stood, wondering how many days she had spent disconnected from the truth and magic of this world.

"I hear it," she said looking around the room for the guitars and violins. All she found was Osirian's hand held out to hers. She hesitated for a moment, and then rose to meet him. "I'm not that proficient of a dancer," she said slightly embarrassed.

Osirian noticed her bashful nature and laughed softly. He grabbed onto her hands and placed one of them onto his shoulder. He placed his free hand on the vacant space above her hip, which sent small shivers up her spine.

"Just follow my lead and you will be fine," he said as he moved his right foot back, which in turn drew Amalia's left foot forward. After a few moments watching her feet and matching Osirian' steps, she gained a bit of confidence and returned to meet his gaze.

"I think I'm starting to get the swing of it," she said smiling. Osirian gave her a gentle expression but it soon turned to something else, something Amalia had never seen before. It was blissful, but it was mixed with something she had never seen before—desire.

He moved his hands until both his hands were on her hips as they danced. Amalia felt surges of energy rush through her as the very touch of his hand pulled her closer.

She placed her head on his shoulder as they danced to the music of the desert. The space between them became smaller and smaller until the fabrics of their garments brushed slightly upon each other.

Osirian stopped their dance for a moment, pulling away ever so slightly. It was as if he was searching her eyes for an answer; as if he was afraid that somehow she wouldn't return his feelings. He leaned forward, and she felt their breath become still, she wondered if he would give in to his instincts. He closed his eyes just as his lips touched hers. At that moment, it felt as though every ounce of their beings had been born to live for this—every pain, every ounce of suffering didn't matter anymore, because in this moment they had become lost within each other.

"Marry me," he said softly while leaning towards the side of her neck, speaking into her ear. A jolt of shock, along with pure joy shot through Amalia. Her arms wrapped themselves around his neck as she pulled him in closer.

"I will."