Chapter 13

I sat in my hotel room, waiting for morning to come for most of the night. That is, until someone came knocking on my door. All of a sudden I had become so popular, and people always seemed to know where I was. It wasn't a very good quality for an undercover agent.

I wasn't entirely upset about someone being here though. It was about two in the morning and for the past two hours I had sat in bed, debating on whether I should spend my time being sad or trying to figure out what the hell happened tonight. At one point, I grabbed my laptop and started searching for something, but my hands were still shaking and so I didn't get very far. Work had upset me before but it had never been this bad.

I got up and opened the door, hesitantly, making sure that my gun was still next to my knife on to of the dresser. Peeking around the think piece of wood I saw Marlee, inviting herself in as usual. She didn't look happy or relaxed in any way, making me realize this was hardly a friendly visit. Just a reminder that when working for MASK, dealing with a death was just something you had to do. There wasn't an option to take time to grieve. If you did that, there would be a good chance that more people could end up dead.

It was just sad thinking about it. The agency was one of the smaller ones tied to the government, and we rarely actually got out on the big-time field. If needed, I would accompany some members of the CIA or NCIS but that was it. We hadn't suffered a casualty in a long time, as far as I could remember. And of all people it was Drew, an intel worker; I still couldn't wrap my head around it. Being a field officer, it was natural for me to feel guilty. He was doing my job, and he got killed doing it.

"What's going on?" I asked Marlee as she immediately went over to the room's small closet and starting sticking whatever items of clothing there were back in my suitcase. She was moving frantically, not even folding the clothes like I knew she did. Marlee was a tad OCD, but it was just enough that it actually helped all of us along. It was probably the only reason Marlee and Niall's apartment was clean all the time.

"I just got a call from Mallory and he said the system is down. He suspects is the hacker, but obviously he can't see anything. The whole agency is blinded. CIA is working on it, but for now someone out there has our names, pictures, and all our filed information. So we need to get out of here." She explained, zipping up my suitcase. I had to admit that it was convienent that she did it for me. But, I was still in my pajamas so I had to open it back up before we left.

"I've got you and Louis on a flight back to New York in two hours. I need you to go talk to Liam at Central Intelligence when you get there, remember him? He worked with us in Colombia last summer. And I want Louis at MASK, working with some of the head intel officers to help them decipher the virus. It's a fucking shame all this is happening after we lose Drew." she brings it up so casually I can hardly believe it. Marlee's a good person and all but it's just sort of horrible seeing her act like this about him. I mean I'm no one for crying, but I don't just say it's a shame someone died. I guess that's why she's assistant director, she rules with an iron first. Of course nothing like Mallory, she manages to have a heart most of the time.

"Well it's hardly a coincidence. Whoever killed him is probably working the virus right now. We wouldn't have this problem if I had just been there, dammit." I cursed at myself. Marlee came over and helped me zip up my suitcase once again while I gathered the rest of my things, keeping my gun in my backpack. It was a good thing federal agents got special clearance to fly, or else we'd surely miss the flight with all the weapons I'm carrying.

"Not your fault, I sent Drew in. But we have to get back to work, come on. There's a cab downstairs and it'll take you to Heathrow. Meet Louis at the Starbucks on the first floor when you get there, he'll have your ticket and your passport." I nodded as we shuffled out the door. Of course I had my own passport, but with our identities in someone else's possession, it was best to carry a fake one when traveling.