Chapter 24

I didn't even hesitate. Within seconds after Louis spoke, I was racing through my apartment, packing a small bag with whatever I might need for a few days in London. I didn't bother checking flights, knowing New York there'd be one within the hour. I threw my passport in the bag, shielding the small pistol. I still had my MASK ID, and as long as the TSA didn't go searching any databases, which they rarely did, I'd be clear. I really didn't have any time to waste anyway. Louis shouldn't have gone alone.

Sitting on the airplane was agonizing. Not only was there a fucking eleven year old girl trying to get me to listen to her Justin Bieber cd's, but every single bump and cloud in the sky made me worry that we wouldn't get there in time. I may have been getting closer to London, but up in the air I felt further away from Louis than ever.

The call kept running through my head as I sat in silence. Louis' coughs and soft, weak voice making my head ache as I heard him call out for me. Why I had actually let him go back to London alone was beyond me. But for the first time in a long time, I was right and I fucking hated it. He had been so vague in his description of the situation that I still had no clear idea as to what was happening. All I knew was that he was hurting and he needed me there, whether it was for comfort or help. I could provide both; I needed to, for him.

When the plane landed, the sun was barely peeking past the horizon as day turned into night. It had been almost eight hours since Louis had called me, and being on a plane, I had no idea what was happening now. I tried to call him as soon as we were grounded, but I got no response. I was physically shaking.

I didn't even know where Louis' apartment was, assuming that was where it was in the first place. Stepping out of the airport into the cool London air made me shiver as people whipped around me, all having a destination. I was on the brink of a breakdown, fearing that I was already too late.

I fumbled with my cell phone, not even checking to see if I got the numbers right as I forced the cold metal against my cheek that was becoming damp from the mist and the growing tears in my eyes. "Jancer?" Marlee answered quickly. I didn't know what she was working on, I hadn't talked to her all day. She didn't even know I was gone. That being my first mistake, I figured I should start there.

"I'm in London." My voice was shaky and even stating such a simple fact had me freaking out. "What? Why?" she questioned, her voice becoming more tense. I think we were supposed to have dinner tonight, so we could discuss the wedding. In the few days we had been home, Marlee had already taken me dress shopping twice. She had yet to find what she called "the dress." I wasn't much help, but she liked the company anyway. So, that could have added to her frustration.

"Lou- Louis called. He said he was.. um, dying? I don't know the details but I had to come. I'm here now, and I uh.. don't really know where he lives. Can you find out for me, please? I'm really worried." I was talking frantically, barely taking in breaths as I spoke every word. I could already hear the faint sound of fingers typing against a keyboard, which made me relax a little knowing that Marlee was helping. Even if she was mad at me for leaving, there wasn't much she could do now. Our priority was Louis, either way.

"I'll text the address to you. Let me know what's going on. Niall and I will try and hop the pond later tonight, if there's a flight available. Stay safe." she was as calm as any of us could be in this situation. Obviously it didn't hit her as hard, she didn't have emotional ties to Louis like I did. But still, they were friends. It was nice to think of the four of us as friends. I hoped that in the coming weeks it would stay like that.

Marlee hung up and shortly after, I received a text with a London address listed. Instead of taking a cab, which I knew could be dangerous involving traffic, I walked. It wasn't raining but the cool air was enough to make me wish I had a jacket. The energy running through my veins kept me warm for the most part as I hurried through the busy London streets.