2: Good Evening

Shigaraki had been searching police databases and social media for hours now but there still wasn't a single mention of the kid. Or anyone like them. Or even a quirk like theirs registered in Japan. 

It was like they didn't exist. 

"Mommy!" 

He sighed as he closed that tab, it was a complete dead end of a post. He went on to the next and started searching the photos for a kid that looked like the one in his house. Sure, the orphanage these photos were taken at was kilometers away from Musutafu, but he had exhausted all his resources inside the city. 

"Mommy!"

When asked the kid said they didn't remember who taught them to talk or to use the bathroom (thank fuck they could use the bathroom on their own) or anything. They mentioned running around the park and then turning into a duckling, but nothing before that. 

"MOMMY!". 

Shigaraki startled. He hadn't noticed the noise before. The toddler was glaring at him with a massive pout. 

"I'm not your mommy." Shigaraki said, not knowing what else to tell the kid. "I'm a man.". 

"What's a man?". 

Now Shigaraki really didn't want to answer that question. It was a bit too philosophical for the day he's had. What made a man? What defined a man? He didn't really know. 

"Its what I am." He answered, avoiding the question entirely. 

"Am I a man?" The kid asked, tilting their head to the side in confusion. 

"In all honesty, I have absolutely no idea." Shigaraki replied. The kid hummed and padded their way over to Shigraki, nearly tripping over the hem of the villain's t-shirt that he had put on them. 

Yes, the kid had been naked when they first turned into a human toddler and yes, Shigaraki still didn't know if the kid was a boy or a girl. 

Shapeshifting was such a troublesome quirk to have manifested before the kid was at least 4. 

Then again, Tomura had been 10 years old when his showed up and that had gone horribly wrong, so maybe it was better to get used to it. 

The kid grabbed Tomura's hand and tried to pry it away from the computer. "I wanna play!" They said. 

"Kid, go watch tv or something, I'm trying to find your parents." Shigaraki said waving them off and scratching at his neck. This was so stressful. He should just call Kurogiri. 

Would he take the kid to a facility or something? They had those, his teacher had told him that. Facilities to take in the children society forgot, to give them the tools to triumph over their oppressors. 

To mold them into villains. 

Maybe that's what he should be doing. Where he should have taken the kid in the first place. What was the kid doing here in the first place? Why were they so convinced he was their mom? Or dad, he supposed, not that they seemed to know the word for a male parent. 

He looked back down at the floor where the kid was when he realized they had stopped incessantly chatting and saw a duckling standing there instead. 

A duckling.

That was why! 

Holy shit the kid imprinted on him in duckling form. 

He looked back at the computer screen. 8:30 already? It felt like only minutes ago it had been the afternoon. 

No wonder the kid was so grouchy. He had fed the kid of course, but it had been microwaved leftover takeout that they made a mess of. There was still some residue on them now in duckling form. 

So, not knowing what else to do, he picked the duckling up and carried it over to the bathroom sink. He filled the sink with warm water and just let the little guy go crazy. 

Okay, so the tiny quacking noises weren't so bad. It was kind of cute. 

Eventually though he picked the little duckling out of the sink and wrapped it in a washcloth. The kid promptly turned back into a human with a washcloth on its head. Shigaraki sighed and got a normal sized towel for them. 

The kid stared at the towel then proceeded to shake their hair like a dog to get it dry. 

"Hey! Stop that, you're getting water everywhere!" Tomura scolded, shielding himself from the spray with the towel. 

"Oops!" The kid said cheerfully, not at all sorry. Tomura grumbled and just tossed the towel on top of the toddler. 

"Jus dry yourself off and put the shirt on.". He gestured to the t-shirt next to the kid onto the counter. "I don't have another tooth brush for you so I guess we're just not doing that. Do you want like a blanket or something? Are you sleeping as a human or what?". 

The kid found their way out of the massive towel eventually and blinked at Tomura. "I wanna sleep on the floor! Like in the tv show!". 

Ah, that's right. The kid had been watching the 'camp out in the living room' episode of whatever kids show had been on. 

"Great choice." Tomura said. "I'll grab some couch cushions and a blanket.". 

------------ ----------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- 

The kid settled in on the cushions easily. "Stay with me?" They asked, looking up at Tomura with pleading eyes. 

"No." Shigaraki said simply, scratching at his skin. The toddler pouted. 

"Night night." They whispered as Shigaraki turned off the lights. The villain almost didn't respond but managed an awkward 'night' before he ducked into his room. 

The place was a fucking mess. He could barely see his floor in here. This was no place for a kid. His house had always been dusty as a kid and that had been bad enough. 

He should take the kid to one of the centers. He was sure All For One would like someone with powers like theirs. 

A useful spy. 

His thoughts were interrupted when he heard a giggle from the other room. The villain careful got into his bed. Usually he wouldn't go to sleep until 4 am, and it was only 9:45 now, but he was exhausted. 

Having a kid around was a nightmare, that was for sure. He felt like he had spent the whole day chasing after a bird or something when in reality there had barely been a chase before he just ignored the kid in favor of finding their real family. 

They likely didn't have one, at least not one that was out there looking for them. 

Tomorrow was the day he had to go out and get groceries anyways. That was one of the independences he had managed to retain, never taking Kurogiri up on his offer to do it for him. 

Tomorrow, he concluded. He would figure out what to do with the kid tomorrow. 

------------------------------------------------

I thought I was so incredibly funny for posting this fic on mother's day just to match up the mommy joke. 

I understand that I am alone in this being my sole sense of humor. Thank you all for humoring me. 

Tomura's being wayyyyy too chill about a child just being in his house but at this point he's past exhausted and he's a villain, he's been in some weird situations before. This is just the first he's had to deal with alone. 

He's just done with life at this point and who can really blame him? 

Stay Tuned!