28: The Wrong Foot

Tomura and All Might somehow managed to avoid each other all day until dinner. 

The father and child were outside, marveling at the sunset and the bugs in the air, when Toshinori appeared. 

"I uh...just finished cooking. I made enough for everyone and I'd love it if you two came to eat with me." The older man said, almost shyly. 

"Dinner?" Ichigo asked, looking up at their father. Tomura tried to fix their unruly blue hair for a second before giving up. 

"Yeah, dinner time." He relented, taking the hero up on the offer. "Thanks for cooking.". 

Toshinori smiled and led the way inside to the small dining table. There were two plates of unadon on the table and one plastic plate with training chopsticks and a plastic spoon. 

Ichigo had never had eel before, but Tomura was just hoping All Might didn't mention what the fish was and there would be no questions. 

"Yay! Thank you!" Ichigo said, clambering into their chair and grabbing the spoon immediately. They weren't the best at feeding themselves, Tomura imagined whoever was taking care of Ichigo before didn't really let them feed themselves much, at least as a human. Training chopsticks were an ever present battle. 

"Hold on." Tomura said, taking his own chopsticks and breaking apart the meat, checking for bones and making sure it was in bite sized pieces that Ichigo couldn't choke on.

The toddler wasted no time eating the moment they were aloud too, and Tomura was honestly too tired to scold them for not thanking All Might for the food, so he did so himself and began to eat. 

"So, how was the drive?" Toshinori asked, trying to be as casual as possible. 

"We were unable to see out of the windows for most of it, so I wouldn't know." Tomura replied, his tone a little harsher then indented. 

"Right." The older man said, nodding slightly sheepishly. "Just so you know, this was my suggestion but the transport was not. I thought they'd just drive you up.". 

"Well, they obviously thought it was necessary." The former villain replied simply. Toshinori just nodded. 

There was a moment of silence before All Might let out an 'oh' and perked up. "I finished assembling everything in the little one's room before you arrived." He explained excitedly. "I asked Hizashi about a theme, since I wasn't able to ask you about it. He said Ichigo really liked soft things and games that involved movement so I-". 

"If I could say something, All Might," Tomura interrupted, setting his chopsticks down on the small holder. "I'm thankful for what you've done. Without you, I don't know what would have happened to us. But that doesn't change that I don't like you, and I don't want you near or involved with my child. Ichigo and I have always shared a room, and we will continue too.". 

"Right." Toshinori nodded, not meeting Tomura's eyes. The former villain was confused. He looked genuinely sad, like he was disappointed. At the same time, he was trying to be incredibly subtle about it. He wasn't hounding Tomura with reasons he should be greatful, or forcing whatever parenting beliefs he had on him. He just looked like the sting of rejection had hit him. 

The rest of the meal passed in silence, apart from Tomura telling Ichigo to slow down or wiping their face. 

When everything was finished, Tomura got up from the table and started gathering dishes. 

"Ah, no its alright. I can wash them." Toshinori assured him, quickly getting up with his own dirty dishes in hand. Tomura didn't argue and simply picked Ichigo up and walked away.