Hanahaki

This takes place in high school Anya and Damian are about 16-17

WARNING ANGST!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Damian sat on the floor in the bathroom, his handkerchief was colored a warm red color from his violent coughing. He closed his eyes and leaned his head against the cool tile; his head ached his lungs felt so heavy he just wished this awful feeling would stop. His body spazzed violently once again causing him to go into another coughing fit,

"cou...cou..hou," Damian was wheezing trying hard not to cough though his attempts were in vain. Damian watched as small pink flowers fell from his mouth followed by blood, his body spazzed again making him hold his stomach. He groaned in pain unable to handle it anymore he gritted his teeth and tried to draw in a steady breath. just as quickly as it came the pain disappeared; Damian felt tears line his eyes.

Having gained a little bit of strength Damian slowly sat up and pulled his knees to his chest sitting in a fetal position, he wished with everything in him that he could keep the feelings he had but get rid of his pain. The flowers growing in his lungs were proof he was very much in love with Anya but it was a one-sided love; sure she loved him but not the way he loved her at least he thought she loved him. That was until she confessed it was her, she had helped her father bring his family's crimes to light by arresting them. He had already known Anya was an esper it was a secret she confided with him; despite everything that had happened he never dared tell her secret. It wasn't Anya's fault, she had to save the world even if that meant using him; that wasn't what hurt him the most was when Anya swore nothing was fake it was all real. How could any of it be real if she planned on deceiving him from the beginning?

The more he thought about it the more his chest ached, his feelings had only gotten worse after he had cried himself to sleep for weeks after he lost his father, his brother, and his home. He had lost almost everything but he really did believe it would be ok because he still had Anya. Until he didn't have her. All he had was her bittersweet memories, ones that all clashed in his mind as he desperately reached for trying to find one that could be real or genuine.

Damian coughed once again it was almost a pitiful cough that didn't affect him at all.

"Damian just- just give up your feelings for her. It's not worth it."

Emile and Ewen stood outside the bathroom stall Damian was occupying, Damian clenched his fist.

"My feelings are my own. If I want to hold onto them I will."

"Bossman you're already getting to a point where you can't breathe- if you don't make a choice now the doctors will have to make one for you."

Damian stared at his handkerchief his eyes followed the warm red stains and the small pink flowers. He knew it was stupid to hold on but his heart wouldn't let him let go of his feelings that easily. It might not have been real to Anya ut it was very real to him and he couldn't let go, the very memories that had kept him sane were the very ones that to were destroying him. He couldn't stop replaying her voice and her words in his mind.

"Give me back your hand Sy-on boy."

"I'll watch over you. Even if your dad is not proud of you, I am."

"I made these Stella star cookies for you."

Damian felt his chest ache, even more, he already knew the more he dwelled on her the more it hurt him but the pain sometimes felt better than the numbness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The breeze outside felt warm and refreshing, leaned up against a large tree were Anya and Becky. Anya had shifted her body so her head was more on Becky's lap, Becky stroked her hair in hopes of letting the pink-haired girl rest.