The end?

It was 1870. 2 years after Jacob's demise. I had been hidden away in my house for those years. Avoiding the thoughts of him. My hair was grown out and i had huge rings underneath my eyes. I hadn't slept. I barely ate. I sat in my bed days on end. Hopelessly.

"James?" A knocking broke the silence. I was lying on my left side so i couldn't hear the voice. It called again, louder. This time i heard a slight noise and rolled over.

"Piss off!" I shouted. But the voice didn't leave. Instead it carried on speaking.

"Mr Smith, your auntie would like to speak to you. She-"

"I said PISS OFF!" Silence.

"Shes going to die Sir." For the first time in what felt like years i got out of my bed and headed down the stairs. I opened the door and the voice was someone i didn't recognise. As soon as his eyes lay on my face he was dumbfounded. My hair was stuck up like a scarecrow, my eyes were bloodshot and there was a space where my left ear used to be. No wonder he was speechless. I spoke for him however.

"Of what?"

"S-Sorry?"

"What is she dying of?" I puffed.

"Oh, im not sure sir."

"Well where is she?" I took out my cigarette and grabbed my lighter from my pocket. I never used to smoke whilst Frye was around. Now i'm different. I placed the cig in my mouth and held a hand around it whilst I lit it. Then I inhaled a few times and blew out the smoke into his face.

"She's urm-" This made him cough causing him to loose track of his words.

"Where is she?!" I began to raise my voice. I wasn't completely sober. I hadn't been since I lost Jacob. I had a small bottle of whiskey tucked into my pocket. It was becoming an addiction, I would drink whenever the thought of the man entered my head. Which was 24/7 no matter how hard i wanted to get rid of it. The shots replay in my head every night. When i close my eyes i see him, i see the blood and the gun. I hear the pain of my ears ringing. I remember the realisation that half of the blood i saw was my own. I'm struggling a lot to accept my injury.

"She's at her house, down the str-"

"Yes thanks I know where that is mate. You can go now."

"Yes sir" He sped off, I watched him running and felt the urge to shout 'CUNT!' but I didn't. I couldn't care less about the way i looked so i headed towards my Aunties house with my head hung low. I didn't want to go out. The sun blinded my eyes, my ear rattled due to the loud sounds of humanity that i wasn't used to.

"What a mess" I suddenly heard someone say, i looked up and saw a young boy staring at me with his friends. They burst out laughing, i acted irrationally and grabbed him by his collar. I yanked him towards me until he was face to face with mine.

"Listen here you little bastard, say something like that again and i'll smash your head in." Then i let go of him and shoved him to the floor. He scampered off immediately with his mates. I smoked my cigarette and carried on walking. Soon i arrived at my aunts. I hesitatingly knocked on the door.

"Violet?" No reply. I opened the door, her house was so clean and proper. It smelled of flowers. I took a deep breath in and headed up the stairs. I opened the door and saw her gazing out the window.

"What is it?" I sighed. Death was harmless to me now.

"What? Oh! Hello dear i didn't hear you come in!" She wasn't facing me. But as soon as she turned around, she couldn't take her eyes off of my flat ear and the state of me.

"What are you dying of Violet?" I asked again.

"What?" she chuckled. "i'm not dying of anything. In fact i'm not dying at all!"