Chapter 5- The Best Day

"Fifty-two." She says with a sigh, right as the machine begins picking up chunks of her hair and twisting them around. "Well, we have time to kill. So how did you even meet Varian, (yn)?"

"Well, before Varian was born, Varian's father, Quirin, moved to Corona from some distant kingdom. He came to dad and asked for a place to stay, as Dad and Quirin go way back as great friends. Quirin became the village leader and often came to the palace to meet with dad about kingdom affairs. Varian's mother passed away when he was only a toddler, so Quirin would bring Varian to his meetings since he couldn't leave Varian alone. Dad originally planned for me to not even meet Varian, but...apparently, I had other plans." I smile as I fondly remember the day.

I sighed as I sat in the palace study with my tutor, Miss Harding. She was a wrinkly old woman, who was slender and bony. Miss Harding impatiently tapped her long, overgrown, fingernails on the wooden table, waiting for me to finish my assignment. I was only seven, but I already hated my lessons. I threw my arms up and slumped back into the chair. "Ughhhh, why can't I do something else?!" I whined.

"Because you need to learn proper etiquette." She said for the tenth time.

"I don't wanna!" I shout, crossing my arms over my chest.

Miss Harding groaned and rubbed her temples "(Yn), I don't want to fight with you."

"Then don't," I said, hopping up from my seat and running out of the library. I ran down the halls, dodging the staff and ignoring Miss Harding's pleas for me to come back. I ran into one of the lounge rooms and slammed the door behind me. "Phew...that was close..." I say with a sigh under my breath.

"Who are you?"

I look up to see a young boy with messy black hair, and a blue-eyed, freckle-filled face sitting on the couch holding a book and staring at me.

"Who am I? Who are you?!" I asked, pointing a finger at him.

"My name's Varian! My daddy told me to wait here until he was done talking to the king. Who are you anyway?"

"I'm Princess (yn)," I said, curtsying.

"Princess? But I thought the princess was kidnapped."

"She was, but then I was born. Mommy and Daddy say I'm not allowed to leave the castle so that I stay safe from the people who live outside the palace walls." I looked at the boy. "Wait...you're from outside the palace walls! Are you gonna hurt me?!" I asked, quickly hiding behind a table with a blue vase on top.

"I'm not going to hurt you," Varian said, hopping down from the couch. "I promise!"

"Really?"

Varian nods his head.

I slowly creeped out from behind the table and approached the boy. "Do y-you want to be friends?"

"I've never had a friend before..."

"Me neither! We can be each other's first friend!" I happily suggested.

"Okay!"

The door suddenly barges open. "(Yn)!! Why aren't you in your lesson?" My father demanded. I noticed that there was another middle-aged man behind him.

"I...uh..." I nervously looked down at my shoes and traced my foot along the ornate design on the carpet.

Varian ran up to my dad. "Please, your majesty! Don't punish, (yn)! She just wanted to make a friend! What's so wrong with that?"