Chapter 24- A Room of People

"Presenting...Princess (Yn) of Corona!"

The doors to the throne room fly open, and the room full of guests stop what they're doing and gasp at the sight of me. I nervously wave and feel a rush of nerves overflow me at the sight of so many people.

As the trumpets sound off my arrival, I gracefully walk into the room. My eyes survey the crowd, and I quickly realize that I hardly know any of the guests at all. After years of staying hidden from people, I had never socialized with or even seen anyone besides my family and some of the palace staff, yet all of these strangers came to a party to celebrate me. Somehow, this room full of people makes me feel lonelier than I ever had felt before. Shouldn't I be happy to know that so many people showed up to celebrate my birthday?

I think back to the coronation. Why wasn't it so formidable then? A couple of tears well up in my eyes as the realization hits me: Rapunzel was by my side during the coronation. I miss her so much...

I suppress the thoughts and continue walking.

As I approach the thrones my parents smile at me. Dad places a hand on my shoulder as he looks out to the room of guests. "I'd personally like to thank all of you for coming here to celebrate the princess." He smiles. "For fourteen years I hid her away out of fear, but a year ago princess (Yn) finally spread her wings and emerged from the castle walls. It has brought me great joy to watch how much she has grown and accomplished in that time. I am so proud to call this talented, strong, and wonderful young woman my daughter." My dad looks down at me and smiles before turning back to the crowd. "Tonight, for the first time in fifteen years, we'll finally celebrate princess (Yn) and her bright future."

The crowd applauds as the king finishes his speech. I hug my dad and grin. "Thanks, dad."

As we part, dad smiles at me. "Now enjoy your party, my dear."

I nod and slowly make my way into the crowd. The guests begin to swarm me, all wanting to socialize and mingle. I feel my heartbeat quicken from the number of people; I nervously fidget with a strand of my hair. A boy about my age with a charming grin plastered on his face approaches me and bows.

"Princess (Yn), my name is Prince Edward of the Southern Isles. It's a pleasure to meet you."

I return his bow with a curtsy and a nervous smile. "Uh yeah... thank you. It's nice to meet you too." I glance around the room. The guests were all staring at me and Edward expectingly, and I could feel their judgmental faces watching my every move.

Edward gently takes hold of my gloved hand and slowly kisses it. I just stand there, wishing I could run away from it all. Even though Edward's lips have left my hand, he doesn't let go of my palm. "Shall we dance?" His voice comes out as smooth and slick as an eel.

I nonchalantly nod but inside I cringe. I did not want to dance with this guy.

Right as Edward begins to navigate me to the dance floor, I notice the doors to the throne room opening. I smile brightly when Varian is led in by two guards, dressed in a long black trench coat with red trim. I quickly speed away from my dance partner, shamelessly leaving him behind. Varian softly smiles when he sees me pushing through the crowd to get to him. "H-hey, (Yn)." He nervously waves, trying to avoid the stern gaze the guards were showing him.

For the first time all night, I feel relieved. I finally knew someone in this room of strangers. "Hi, Varian!" I throw my arms around the boy, oblivious to the light pink color that began to form on his cheeks. "I'm so glad you could make it."

Varian smiles as we part from our hug. "So am I!" Varian's blue eyes slowly look me up and down, and I begin to blush and look away. "Sorry! I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable...it's just...you-you look b-beautiful, (Yn)." He nervously admits.