Chapter 48- The Girl Who Has Everything

The weeks following Varian's and my relationship beginning and King Trevor's visit were pretty quiet.

Rapunzel entrusted Varian with the ancient scroll that holds the information on the moonstone and the sundrop's power, which Varian has been spending the past couple of weeks decoding in his new lab. Although Varian requested complete solitude while he stayed in his lab to decode the artifact, I got a girlfriend pass to that rule, so I've been free to visit my boyfriend whenever I want. Luckily, I have even been able to help him decode the scroll a bit thanks to my knowledge of ancient languages (being locked in a castle with a massive library for fourteen years has its perks).

We haven't seen any signs of Cassandra in Corona since the red rocks disappeared, which has been both relieving, but also quite frightening. I often find myself wondering when she'll come back...and what she'll do when she does. If studying that scroll has taught me anything, it's that the moonstone's power can have devastating consequences.

For now, however, all one can do is wait.

But today, I decided to push aside any of my worries. Today is Eugene's birthday, and I want to help give my future brother-in-law the best Cassandra-free birthday he's ever had. There's no room for fear in today's agenda.

"Where's Rapunzel?" I suddenly hear Catalina ask as she and Angry hang up pink streamers around the throne room.

"That's a good question," Lance comments, glancing around the room for any sign of my sister.

I set down the basket of bows that I've been adorning the room with. "Don't worry, I'll go find her." I offer.

"Thanks, (First letter of your name.)" Angry says, using the nickname she came up with for me.

I leave the throne room and begin heading to Rapunzel's bedroom, Dandelion following close behind me. As I walk through the halls, the early morning sunlight shines through the tall windows, illuminating the halls. I smile as I feel the comforting warmth of the light on my skin. After a few minutes of navigating through the palace, I reach the grand doors of Rapunzel's room. As I near the doors, I hear the familiar noise of Rapunzel singing coming from inside the room.

Pressing my ear against the wooden door, I listen to hear Rapunzel's song.

"Yes, now I'm safe and sound

Back with my family

When I look around I see how things can be

Everywhere I turn

There's so much more I can do~"

I slowly turn the golden handle of her door and peek my head inside the room to see Rapunzel hanging from her hair and painting her crème colored walls with vines and flowers in beautiful hues of lavender and warm pink. The people of Corona, the guards, her friends, and her family are all painted in between; a beautiful mural of the things she loves. I notice paintings depicting her challenges and triumphs as well, and everything in between. I smile a bit when I see a painting of Mom, Dad, Rapunzel, and I all in a group hug together. As my eyes wander across her mural,  I catch a glimpse of a painting of me and Varian together, hand in hand, gazing into each other's eyes lovingly. I also notice that our glowing hair stripes are very prominent. It makes my heart flutter.

My heart sinks ever so slightly upon realizing that Cassandra is nowhere to be seen. I understand why she would be absent from the mural, but I can't help but feel like it is wrong. After all, she was a dear friend of ours once; she could always be a dear friend of ours again.

"And I get to be the girl who has everything~

The blessings this world can bring~

All falling in line~"