Chapter 50- Shadows of the Moon

"We have to figure out what Cassandra is planning to do." Rapunzel's voice speaks out, full of urgency.

I'm hardly listening as I nervously run my fingers along the hem of Varian's red bandana. As I gaze out Rapunzel's bedroom window, I wonder how the world can seem so sunny and carefree while Cassandra has access to every moonstone incantation and can be planning who knows what. Everyone in my entire kingdom is in danger, and yet, the person I'm the most worried about is Varian. Every time I think about what sort of peril Varian might be in, it only breaks my heart worse. He doesn't deserve any of this.

I told him I'd keep him safe, and I couldn't protect him.

Guilt stabs into me, not like a sword piercing into my heart, but like five thousand needles being pushed into my skin all at once. Everything hurts, and I can't do anything to stop it.

Catalina is seated beside me on the arm of the plush red chair I'm sitting on, trying to console me in any way she can. I appreciate the effort, but nothing can ease my nerves. I won't feel at peace until Varian is home.

As I glance around the room, I notice that I'm not the only one who appears to be defeated. Everyone was hardly showing any interest in Rapunzel's pep talk, evident by their blank stares and defeated expressions. Rapunzel's emerald eyes glanced around the room until her eyes meet my (ec) ones. She notices the red bandana in my hand, and her face softens. "Seriously guys," She begins, raising her voice to get everyone's attention. "Cass has Varian. Not to mention an incantation that can control the rocks. We have to stop her."

Lance sighs with a melancholy look in his eyes. "Uh, princess, were you in the same fight as us? We don't stand a chance against Cass in unbreakable armor."

"C'mon Lance, she wasn't that bad." A small chuckle escapes Eugene's lips.

"Oh, I'm sorry." The former thief scoffs. "What were you doing during that fight? There was a large boulder and you were..." He heartily laughs, unable to continue his sentence. Pascal, eager to help poke fun at Eugene, climbs onto the globe placed beside Lance and begins running swiftly as he pretends to be terrified. Lance bursts into another fit of laughter. "Yeah, yeah. Like that."

One look at Eugene's unamused face was enough to make Lance calm down. "Okay, okay. He's getting offended." He places his hand on the globe, causing it to stop in its tracks. Pascal flies forward from the sudden stop.

"What are you laughing about?" Eugene counters. "You were right there with me!"

Lance struts over him and places his hands on his shoulders. "No, no, no. You're remembering it all wrong. You know, they say memory is one of the first things to go with age."

I groan, feeling incredibly frustrated by the men's childish behavior. It's like they don't even care that Varian's been taken prisoner or that Cassandra now has one of the most powerful incantations in the land!

"Are we finished?" Eugene sighs.

"What will it take for you guys to focus for two seconds?!?" I finally exclaim, feeling my anger boil over me like a powder keg exploding. Eugene and Lance glance at me with surprise from my sudden outburst. Catalina places a comforting hand on my shoulder and I take a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to lash out. I'm just...I'm so worried about him." I choke out. I clench the bandanna in my lap as my eyes try to hold back my tears.

"We'll get him back, (Yn)," Rapunzel assures me. "I promise."

I give my sister a small, but grateful, smile.

"Listen, I know Cassandra's dangerous, but we cannot forget she's also our friend," Rapunzel says, turning her attention to Lance and Eugene.

Eugene crosses his arms. "There's only one big problem. We don't know where she is."