Chapter 41- Nightmare

Hey guys!!

I'd like to thank you all for 30k reads on this story! I'm so happy that you all have found my story and are enjoying it so much!! I can't wait to keep writing and make it even better for all of you guys!
Alright people, it's time for "Be Very Afriad", a series of chapters I've been waiting to write since starting this book two years ago (I can't begin to describe how pumped I am for you to read this). Stuff is about to go down peeps!

Are you ready?

The first thing the shadows reveal to me is the black rocks. As the fog gradually retreats out of the courtyard, I glimpse around at my surroundings. It's pitch black outside; the only thing offering me any sort of vision is the glow of the full moon. The chill in the air nips my skin from the dark atmosphere.

My eyes catch sight of Varian first. He is standing at the entrance of the Royal courtyard. His hair stripe is illuminating. "Varian? What's going on?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?" A sickeningly sweet voice cuts through the night. It sounds like the thoughtful voice of a child but it's sugar-coated enough to make my teeth rot.

"W-Who are you?" I ask the night. A giggle echos around me, and abruptly, golden amber begins forming around Varian's feet, ensnaring him in place. Fear tears at my insides, so sharply that it feels as though it's ripping me apart from the inside out. I rush to Varian's aid. "Varian!!" I cry.

"(Yn)!!" Varian screams, desperately straining to remove his feet from the amber. His panic-stricken eyes pierce into my soul, desperately begging me to assist. "Help me! Please!!"

The yellow rock crawls up Varian's legs and I clutch his hands, frantically trying to pull him from the amber. I know it's futile, but I can't help myself but try. "Hang on Var!"

"Save me, (Yn)! Please!!" Varian begs, tears streaming down his cheeks. The last of the amber shoots up over Varian, trapping the rest of his body in the unbreakable substance. The tears on the horrified boy's cheeks have been preserved with the amber, his body permanently entrapped in the prison.

Suddenly, the amber shoots out to the left and right of Varian, traveling along the perimeter of the courtyard. Out of nowhere, Rapunzel and Cassandra appear from the fog and begin getting consumed by the amber once it reaches them. "Raps!! Cass!!" I exclaim, rushing to my sister first. I have to save her... I think. I can't lose anyone else! By the time I reach her, it's too late, both she and Cassandra have been trapped in the amber entirely.

The amber continues to creep around the perimeter of the courtyard, and as it does so, it encases everyone I treasure. Mom, Dad, Lance, Quirin, Eugene, Xavier, Angry, and Catalina. Tears stream down my cheeks as the scene unfolds before me. "They're all...they're all gone..." I sob, sinking to my knees. As I cup my face in my hands and cry, a choir of ghostly voices envelops me.

"(Yn)..."

"Why didn't you save us?"

"You should've saved us..."

"(Yn)..."

"Why...?"

Tears pour from my eyes. "I-I tried! I'm sorry! I'm so sorry I failed you..." I choke out.

The voices chant louder.

"This is all your fault..."

"You could've done more..."

"Our deaths are on your hands..."

"How could you do this?"

The guilt floods into me like a tsunami. They're right... I think to myself. I could've done something...I should've done something... "I'm sorry!!" I cry. "I wanted to help! It's all my fault!!"