Chapter 63- What Once Was Mine

𝐹𝓁𝑜𝓌𝑒𝓇, 𝑔𝓁𝑒𝒶𝓂 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝑔𝓁𝑜𝓌~
𝐿𝑒𝓉 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝓅𝑜𝓌𝑒𝓇 𝓈𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑒~
𝑀𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒸𝓁𝑜𝒸𝓀 𝓇𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓈𝑒-
𝐵𝓇𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒷𝒶𝒸𝓀 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝑜𝓃𝒸𝑒 𝓌𝒶𝓈 𝓂𝒾𝓃𝑒~

The song echoes through my mind as I break free of both my physical and mental restraints. My feet don't touch the floor; instead, I hover due to the amount of magic flowing throughout me. After my encounter with the sun spirit, I realized that they blessed me with more power than I've ever had in my possession. Unsure of how long this gift will last, I try to get out as quickly as possible. Time is of the essence, and Varian needs me.

My golden eyes glance around my rock-covered bedroom until I spy an opening through my mirror. Of course, it's still uncovered; Cassandra has no idea about my secret passageway.

I reach below my feet and scoop up Varian's goggles, clutching them like my life depends on it. "Hang in there, Var...I'm coming."

:-:-:-:-:

After escaping the palace walls, I shoot into the air, hundreds of feet above the ground. The bright sunlight blinds me for a moment, and I wince from not seeing it for so long. I hardly even realize what's happening until I'm up so high, and I suddenly feel woozy. Images of almost falling to my death several times throughout my past flash through my mind, causing beads of sweat to form on my forehead. I feel light-headed from the situation as I begin to shake ever so slightly from the memories.

The entire tower begins shaking violently, causing us all to wobble. I feel myself losing my balance, and I slip. My heart plummets into my stomach as I fall forward. I hear the panicked voices of Eugene, Rapunzel, and Varian as gravity overcomes me, and I luckily manage to grab ahold of the beam. I grip the black rock as tightly as I can and pull myself back on top of it. My heart is beating louder than a drum, and I force myself to take deep breaths.

As I did all those months ago, suck in several deep breaths, slowly blowing back out after each one. A tiny bit of relief graces my senses and gives me the strength to keep moving. "For Varian," I tell myself.

I begin to propel myself forward, slowly at first, but then faster and faster, until I'm zooming through the ocean blue sky. I can't explain it, but a voice within me instructs me to go to the Snuggly Duckling. I don't question the voice, the same way I'm not questioning how I'm flying. I can only assume it's magic.

The wind blows through my golden hair, and I'm soon able to find that I enjoy the feeling of flying. Something about soaring through the sky is so freeing. I spread my arms out, savoring the feeling.

After a short while, I'm able to spy the Snuggly Duckling through a clearing in the forest. I quickly make my descent, and the second I reach the ground I bust into the pub. The first thing I notice upon my arrival is that the number of refugees has dropped. Only a couple dozen people remain, all of whom are either elderly or mothers with children. They all turn to face me as I enter, taken aback by my sundrop form. I don't blame them, my golden hair that is magically floating on its own and my bright glowing eyes aren't exactly normal.

Dandelion, however, recognizes me instantly and scampers toward me. I scoop the red bunny up into my arms and bring her face to mine. Her little rabbit nose twitches against my cheek and I giggle in reply. "I missed you too," I say, scratching her behind the ears.