eleven

Eleven

Ashton

"We have a teenager, unconscious, with heavy amounts of drugs," I looked up to see a gurney being rushed through. "No information about her identity was given. Everyone on the sight was on drugs,"

"In here," I called out, opening the door to a room. As the person got closer, I knew exactly who it was. "Fuck," I mumbled. "Her name is Maddie Collins, fourteen, she's been a patient before," I informed the nurse. "I need an IV and her stomach pumped," I called out as I grabbed everything I needed. An intern began to give her an IV as I started to pump her stomach, but the intern missed and she started to bleed. "Let a nurse do it, go," I snapped at him.

"Dr. Irwin-" he started.

"You can practice another time, clearly you are not qualified enough for an emergency like this. Go," I yelled, making him instantly leave. The nurse found another vein and held pressure on her arm where she was bleeding. "Come on Mad," I muttered. "Any read on her heart rate?"

"It's high, so is her blood pressure,"

"Any idea on what drugs?"

"Police are investigating," the nurse answered.

"I want her on oxygen as well, she has asthma," I demanded. "Get a sample of blood and bring it to the lab," It felt like hours, but it wasn't that long until we got as much of the drugs out of her system and her vitals were normal. I sighed in relief as I looked over at Maddie, still shocked to even see her back here. Her brothers said she was safe, and clearly she wasn't. "Do we have any more information?"

"She was with her brothers, no one knows how long. There was a drug deal going on, that's it," the nurse explained. I nodded and sat down in the visitors chair, trying to process everything. "Are you staying overnight?" she questioned and I nodded.

"I'm not leaving her,"

"Well I recommend you change, her blood is on your coat," she recommended, making me instantly look at the coat and sigh.

"Thanks, I'll be right back," I said and got up. I walked down to my office, running into Luke and Calum on the way there.

"You made an intern cry," Calum said.

"He deserved it," I muttered, "Maddie is up there,"

"Wait what?" Luke quickly questioned.

"She was on heavy amounts of drugs, no one knows what happened. I had to pump her stomach,"

"What room?"

"15," I answered. "I have to change but I'm staying the night,"

"We are too," Calum said. "I'll let Michael know," I nodded and went into my office. I quickly changed, then came back where Calum, Luke, and now Michael were waiting. We went back to the room and all took a seat around the room. Michael and Calum were on the couch while Luke and I were in two visiting chairs we brought in. They changed into sweats and I changed my shirt and jacket, then we quietly sat around. Calum and Michael had quickly fallen asleep, probably from a long day, but Luke and I sat in silence.

"I regret letting her go back," Luke muttered. "They're careless, I should have known,"

"There wasn't anything we could have done to change it, they had custody over her,"

"I know, but we had a bad feeling, we should have listened to that. We should have done something,"

"We can't blame ourselves," I quickly told him, "if we blame ourselves we're not going to get anywhere," Luke sighed, but nodded in agreement though he still felt regret. The whole group was asleep until they heard a fit of coughs. I quickly got up, rushing over to Maddie as Michael woke up Calum and Luke. "It's alright Mad," I hushed her as she looked around in a panic state. "Take a deep breath darling,"

"Wh-wh," she stuttered, trying to get something out.

"You're in the hospital," I told her softly, "you had a lot of drugs in your system," I said, which made Maddie silent. She looked down to avoid looking at us.

"Baby, what happened?" Michael quietly asked.

Maddie was quiet for a minute, until she decided to tell us, "They're been doing drug deals for the past week, and they drugged me so I would go along,"

"Were they smoking?" Calum questioned and she nodded. "We can tell your lungs were very irritated,"

"I'm sorry I didn't call-"

"Don't apologize," Luke cut her off, "none of this is your fault,"

Maddie was too freaked out to even realize she was in pain, until right now, "My tummy hurt,"

"We had to pump your stomach to get the pills out of it," I explained, but Maddie's eyebrows furrowed as she looked at us.

"I didn't swallow any pills," her comment made my heart stop when I saw she was genuinely confused.

"Angel, there were a lot of pills in your tummy," I responded as I held her hand.

"Maddie, do you think you were unconscious during the week?" Michael questioned. Maddie lightly nodded as she looked back down with tears filling her eyes.

"Please don't make me go back," her voice was barely over a whisper. Her grip on my hand was harder as she tried to fight back all her tears.

"You won't," Calum promised, "you're safe now, we're right here to help,"

"Why don't you get some rest?" Michael suggested.

"My stomach hurts,"

"I know, but we can't give you anything right now," I explained. "Your body is still recovering from the drugs in your system," she didn't say anything as she leaned her head back on the pillow.

"Get some rest, we'll be right here," Calum promised quietly. She didn't say anything, but quickly fell back asleep as we stayed with her worrying.