nineteen

Nineteen

Maddie

"Morning Mad," Calum smiled as I came down in the morning.

"Morning," I smiled back and sat down at the island.

"Someone's cheery," Luke chuckled.

"I'm getting my hair done today," I told him and he raised an eyebrow.

"Really?" he asked and I nodded. "What are you going to do?"

"It's a surprise," I said.

"I can't wait to see," he smiled. He left back upstairs while Calum put a plate of food in front of me.

"Here's your breakfast, Michael said the appointments at 12," Calum said and I nodded. "How would you feel about going to therapy?"

"With Luke?" I asked.

"We could do that, but I think meeting with someone who you don't live with could help," he explained. "It'll be an outside perspective and someone you can talk to who isn't always around,"

"I don't know," I hesitated.

"Would you like to meet her? Michael can bring you over after you get your hair done," he offered and I nodded. "Perfect,"

"Will you be there?"

"It's your decision if you want me there or if you'd rather talk alone. Whatever you decide I will respect, but it's your time to just talk about whatever you want and how you're feeling," he explained. "Today we're just meeting, you don't have to talk about anything that has happened until we schedule appointments,"

"Who is it?"

"Her name is Aria, she works with Luke but mostly works with teens," he told me.

"I guess I'll meet her,"

"If it doesn't work it doesn't work, not a problem," he reassured me. "For now have a fun day with Michael, and I'm excited to see your hair,"

"Did Michael tell you what I'm doing?"

"Nope, he said it's a surprise," Calum smiled.

"I hope everyone likes it,"

"We all will, but what's more important is that you like it," he told me. "And remember, it's just hair. It grows back,"

"Ok," I nodded. I never really went to a hair salon. Zach normally trimmed my hair, so I just stuck with that. It's brunette, down my lower back, and straight. Pretty boring in my opinion, but I never got the opportunity to do anything with it.

Everyone was off to work except Michael and I. For a while he did work in his office while I stayed in my room. I just slept for a little longer until it was time to go. The car ride was silent as I stared at his phone watching the GPS to make sure we were going the right way. It was still something I did in the car with everyone, but I wanted to get past it.

"Have you ever been to a hair salon?" he asked, but I shook my head. "Oh, you'll love it. They'll have you sit in a chair, brush out your hair, wash it, cut it if you'd like, and dry it. And since you're getting dyed, they'll dye it before they wash it," he explained.

"I only want the ends dyed,"

"We'll make sure they do that," he smiled. "It's a great place, Crystal and Sierra get their hair done here," I nodded and looked back down at my phone to watch the GPS. We finally made it to the place and went in. Michael checked me in and soon a woman came out holding a smile on her face.

"You must be Maddie," she grinned. "I'm Olivia, I'm going to do your hair today. It's so nice to meet you,"

"You too," I quietly said as I moved closer to Michael.

"Let's get you settled and find out what you'd like to do," she said. She led us back to a chair with a mirror in the front. "What are you wanting to do today?" she asked.

"Um," I looked at Michael, but he sent me a smile to encourage me to talk, "I would like the ends dyed blue, please," I told her.

"That will look great," she cheered. "How short do you want your hair? A trim, or shorter?"

"I don't really know," I shrugged.

"When was the last time you had your hair trimmed?" she asked, but I shrugged again. "The ends are very dead, so we'll at least have to cut that," she told me and I nodded. "Do you like it long? Or do you want to try something different?"

"Maybe half way down my back?" I looked up at her and she smiled.

"That will look beautiful, and we can curl it as well," she offered and I nodded. We picked a blue, which we went with a bright turquoise, then she got started. She made a lot of conversation, mostly asking about me. I mostly talked about my old school and my family, well, my new family, not Nate and Zach. But as the dye sat, she went to the back to clean while Michael and I stayed.

"Are you liking it so far?" he asked and I nodded with a small smile. "You got around six inches of hair cut off, does it feel better?"

"Yeah," I nodded.

"We'll have to get you some better haircare stuff, we'll get some when we check out," he offered and I nodded. After setting, she came back and rinsed and washed my hair, then dried it, finished trimming it up, then curled it.

"What do you think?" she asked as she turned me to face the mirror. I grinned widely as I ran my fingers through the curls.

"I love it," I giggled happily.

"It looks so good," she told me.

"Thank you," I thanked her as I continued to look in the mirror. It looked healthier, more refreshing, and I loved it.