Ch.2: A Loss

Chapter 2: A Loss

The morning sun gleamed in through the blinds of the window, splashing a line of gold across Kakashi's face. The warm rays pleasantly burned his skin as they seeped through his thick wool blankets, making him blink the sleep out of his eyes. Moaning from the sudden interruption, he sluggishly got out of his bed and into the bathroom.

It had been about 2 months since his mission of babysitting Emiko. Spending time with his teammates, the young toddler had learned quite a bit and was still learning more now. She was able to say more and could even reply to things that her parents or brother asked.

Kakashi finished his daily hygiene and put on his navy blue mask that covered his face from his nose down towards his neck where it connected to the shirt he usually wore. He could tell his parents were still asleep as the door to their bedroom was closed, however he could hear soft babbling noises from the other room across the hall. Peeking in, he saw Emiko standing up in her crib holding onto the safety bars. She was playing with a toy that was hanging over her bed with random noises that baby usually make, coming out of her mouth.

"Kashi!" her eyes lit up as she saw her older brother entering the room. Her arms automatically reached out for him and she moaned loudly for him to pick her up.

"Morning, Emi." He whispered as he laid a gentle kiss on her forehead. He wouldn't admit it, but he loved being affectionate towards his younger sister. She was different, even though she was still a toddler. He loved her since she was family of course... but he appreciated that she still wasn't knowledgeable of the true world beyond the walls of their home yet.

Kakashi loved how Emiko never looked at him expecting him to be the same as his father. She didn't look at him as a child prodigy who had to live up to certain expectations. She didn't expect him to be prim and proper. He wasn't able to show how much he cared for her because of the stereotypical rule, which shinobi created that prevents emotions from being seen.

Emiko... just looked at him with love and affection. The young toddler was always genuinely happy whenever she was with her brother; this had created a bond between them that ran deeper than just siblings. An unbreakable bond.

He picked Emiko up and rested her against his hips, using his arms as a support. Slowly walking down the stairs, they both arrived into the kitchen. "Do you want to eat, Emi?" Kakashi asked as he placed her on the small pillow seat at the kotatsu table.

A/N: For those of you who don't know what a kotatsu is... it's like those low rise tables that is common in Japan where they sit on the floor. You guys have seen it in various anime, of course! ^^

Emiko sat on her seat and began banging the table, "Hungwy! Hungwy!" She still had a little trouble tacking the 'r' sounds since she wasn't aware of how to roll her tongue to produce the correct pronunciation.

"Hai hai, I heard you Emi. What do you want?"

"Wice!"

"Rice again?" Kakashi sighed as he looked back at his younger sister grinning at him. Her teeth had been growing more so she was able to chew on various types of food.

"Wice. Wice!" He wasn't the best at cooking, however his mother had some made breakfast earlier that night, and he just needed to reheat it at this moment. He placed a tray of freshly made rice, leftover miso soup and grilled fish.

Scooping up some rice on a chopstick, he blew on it before carefully feeding it to Emiko. The young girl watched in fascination as the rice came closer to her face before opening her mouth and eating it. As she did, Kakashi returned to eat his own meal while looking over a jutsu scroll that his father had given him yesterday.