Ch.17: Appearance of a Known

04/17/16: Chapters 16-19 will be updated!

Chapter 17: Appearance of a Known

He sat in front of her not moving his gaze. Kakashi's body posture was relaxed, yet underneath, his muscles were tense with anger and worry. After Orochimaru's departure and sudden knowledge that Emiko had a disease, had put him on edge. He wanted to know. No, he needed to know. She was his only family left in this world. It was his job to protect her, and it already felt like he failed as a brother.

Emiko frowned at her lap where her hands lay, fidgeting with nerves. To say that she was nervous about revealing the truth to Kakashi was an understatement. It had been about a month since their meeting with Orochimaru, and in that time many things had changed.

The finals of the chunin exam had been hectic with the sannin attacking the Leaf Village as well as Suna betraying them but siding with him. The jinchuriki's were set lose, and yet Team 7 had managed to make everything alright on their part. The village had experienced a great loss with the beloved Hokage sacrificing himself to save everyone. And things were just starting to get back together.

Everyone was starting to help rebuild the village as well as uniting once again with the Sand. Emiko had delayed telling Kakashi everything since she knew that he had to focus on training Sasuke for the exams, and the truth kept getting pushed back again and again with all the problems. And now, there she was, finally sitting in front of him.

"...It's lovely weather we're having aren't we?" she randomly commented while looking up at the sky right above Training Ground 3. Kakashi's eyes did not waver from her stare, and she finally sighed, defeated.

"Was there any truth to Orochimaru's words?"

Emiko clenched her fists before firmly nodding. "Yes."

Expecting this, Kakashi exhaled silently through his nostrils, "Is... is it the same disease okaa-san had?"

"No. My disease isn't genetic."

"What is it?" He finally asked the question.

She lowly smirked almost afraid of telling him the answer, "It's a brain tumor. A malignant one at that..."

"What?" He whispered with shock as his visible eye widened undoubtedly, "Where?"

"It's on my brain stem, a highly delicate location therefore, it cannot be removed."

"Don't you dare say such a thing." He growled before standing up and sitting right next to her and wrapping his arms around her in comfort, "How dare you... I never thought you, out of all people, would give up hope like that."

She snorted with a quiet chuckle, "Oh come on, Kakashi, there's a place and time for hope and my case isn't one. So I've come to accept this already since the past 10 years."

Kakashi remained quiet, contemplating his thoughts. In that time, Emiko closed her eyes facing upwards towards the sky, letting the sun rays warm her up from within. She loved it when she basked underneath the sun.

A sudden ruffle of leaves snapped the two out of their thoughts and noticed Master Jiraiya tumble out of the bush with a sandal stuck to his forehead. Emiko raised an eyebrow and let out small giggles, while Kakashi rolled his eyes.

"Well... if it isn't Kakashi and little Emiko," the sannin grinned happily sitting in front of them, "Pardon my intrusion but I couldn't help but over hear your conversation." His smile slipped and he looked at Emiko with a mask of utter seriousness. "Your disease is nothing to be smiling about, Emiko. If I were you, I wouldn't give up hope just yet. There is one person who can save you."