Chapter 3

Y/N sat at her desk, staring at the infernal piece of paper lying on the top.

One of the jobs that she had been given upon accepting her position as the prince's advisor was having to filter through the piles of letters that were dropped on her balcony every morning. Admittedly, there was a part of Y/N that wanted to set some sort of deterrent on her balcony so the blasted crows wouldn't deliver the prince's mail. But, at least it gave her a break from attending classes with the boys of this school.

She had already reviewed the letter a multitude of times, and every time she did, she felt her anger start to bubble to the surface, getting closer and closer to overflowing.

"What an absolute menace," she muttered to her empty room, falling back into her chair.

'Of course, she is!' Nox was also incredibly irritated about the letter that Y/N had received.

'I think it's sweet.'

'You think everything is sweet, Loon.'

"Ease off, Nox," Y/N hissed. She wasn't particularly in the mood to listen to the two arguing, especially when she had to focus on the letter in front of her. Sometimes, it was annoying having two other voices in your head, especially when one was the peacekeeper and the other was opinionated about anything and everything.

The subject of their anger was the letter. As the prince and heir to the throne, one of the most common sorts of letters were proposals of dates and, more irritatingly, proposals of marriage. Both of these letters made Y/N sick, and Nox even more so. And though the letter in and of itself was annoying to read, listening to Now and Luna argue was even more so.

"Please be quiet," Y/N sighed, folding up the parchment. She lifted her hands to her scalp and tugged at the roots of her h/c hair.

"Lady Y/N?"

Y/N turned and peered over the back of her seat, smiling when she saw Silver standing at the door.

"Silver," Y/N said with a smile, straightening her back as she got to her feet. She stepped out from behind her desk and curtsied to the boy. He returned the gesture with a graceful bow. "How are you today?"

"I am well, Lady Y/N," Silver said. "Father wished for me to tell you that Malleus wishes to meet with you shortly before he leaves for breakfast." He pulled out a simple silver pocket watch and ran his thumb over the carved surface. "You have ten minutes before he expects you."

Y/N sighed and turned back to the paperwork on her desk, starting to pack everything up into her briefcase. She slid the papers back into their proper files and shut the flap on her black briefcase. Silver left the girl to get ready and shut the door behind him as he went to wake Sebek.

Y/N glanced over at the pile of marriage proposals that she had sorted through. Many of what had come she had disposed of, deeming them too unreasonable for the prince to even consider, according to the specifications that she had reviewed when she studied when her father brought her to council meetings. She had narrowed down possible proposals to about a third of what the pile had been that morning when she first woke. Still, many of them were absolutely absurd, to say the least. But there was one that rose above the rest.

"Lady Ruby of the Shaftlands," Y/N muttered. She picked up the letter that she had been reading when Silver had entered the room. Along with the letter, she had sent a portrait of herself that nearly made Y/N vomit. She wasn't unattractive by any means, but it was more her scantily dressed figure and intended seductive position of lounging on a chaise that had made bile rise to her throat. Y/N wondered how Lady Ruby's parents, or guardians, had let her send that portrait.