Chapter 8

Y/N flicked the match across the rough edge of the box and a flame erupted on the tip a second later. She breathed out slowly and set the box of matches down on her desk, cupping her hand around the tiny flame as she guided it to the small cluster of candles that sat on the top of the desk. One by one, she lit the auburn pillar candles, before blowing out the flame and tossing it into the trash can that sat beside her desk. 

Then, she opened the notebook that she had brought with her and started to write. She had been instructed by the blue fairie to keep notes on her interactions with Lady Fayetta to share later on with the rest of the council to be sure that Lady Fayetta was a good match for the young prince. 

Lady Fayetta

Y/N's hand stilled as she moved down to the next line. This was harder than she had anticipated. How was Y/N supposed to judge a lady of whether or not she would be a good queen for Briar Valley when it seemed as though every other thought of hers was of how she wished that it was she who was in their place?

She shook her head and started writing. There was no time for her to be thinking of that. She had to do this if she wanted Malleus to have any sort of a chance at happiness. She was the one who probably knew him best, out of everyone on the council, and if the others had their say, they might select someone like Lady Ruby. Malleus needed someone to advocate for him. She could not say he was not allowed to marry any of the three, as they were better than the other ones that she had seen, but she could try and pick the best one.

Lady Fayetta is a half-fae, born to Lord Delwyn of House Archa and Lady Ivy of House Siog. The two houses joined about a decade or so before Lady Fayetta's birth when Lord Delwyn and Lady Ivy were wed. 

Lord Delwyn brought his wife to the fae court upon his marriage, and there she has lived for the past three decades. Lord Delwyn's age is beyond recount, as is most fae, while his wife, Lady Ivy is a mere six and forty. (Lady Fayetta herself is to turn twenty this coming fall.) Lord Delwyn is a high-ranking commander in the royal guard and has only recently retired from the battlefield, though he still regularly attends strategy meetings to ensure that Briar Valley is secure in its military. 

Upon our arrival at the castle, we were greeted by Lord Delwyn, Lady Ivy, Lady Fayetta, and a small handful of their staff. An estate manager, a butler, an under-butler, a head valet, a valet, three lady's maids, about half-a-dozen footmen, about a dozen housemaids, and too many for me to record here, in truth. Though I have been told that this is not their entire collection of staff. I shall make it my business to know the staff and interview them on the young lady. I am sure that they would be more than willing to supply me with information.

Lady Fayetta, I must say, has perfect manners. She greeted us upon our arrival, and almost immediately swept us off to the main parlour for a cup of tea. We had a small interview with her, which went rather splendidly. Her favourite pastime is either reading or horseback riding, both hobbies that His Highness is fond of. She also enjoys embroidery, chess, and cards. Once again, her manners were perfection, and she spoke incredibly elegantly. 

Y/N thought it best to leave it there for now. She did not have much more to write. So, she slumped back in her chair and watched the candles as they flickered and danced upon her desk. She smiled at the familiar sight. The gentle flickering of candles always soothed her beyond belief. 

There was suddenly a knock on the door and Y/N quickly stood from her chair. She approached the door and pulled it open, smiling when she saw a familiar face on the other side. Not familiar in the sense that she was well aquatinted with the lady who entered, but familiar in the sense that she had seen her before. She was one of the maids who she had seen upon entering the household.