Chapter 13

TW: Mentions of inflicted abuse

"I cannot believe you!" 

Y/N's head hung low as she listened to her mother's screams. She tugged the blanket closer to her body, ignoring the presence beside her, though she knew that Malleus was silently pleading for even just a glance from her. But if her mother were to see her looking at the prince, it would bring another wave of hellfire down upon her.

"Everything that I have done for you could all be wasted now," her mother shouted. She no longer cared about acting ladylike. None of the residents of the manor were currently awake, so the only ones to witness the anger of Y/N's mother were Y/N, Malleus, Lilia, and the guards that were there for Malleus. "Do you realize that you could have cost the prince his marriage?! Did you think of that before you decided to be selfish?!"

"It was my fault," Malleus said, rising to his feet and taking a step towards Y/N. "I was the one who kissed her."

Y/N's mother laughed. "It is honourable for you to try and shield her, Your Highness, but I know my daughter. The fault is only hers." She bowed to the prince. "Please, return to the castle, Your Highness. Rest assured that I shall deal with the wretch and punish her for her mistakes." She sneered at her daughter, her eyes lit with malice.

"No, please. It was my fault!" Malleus had tears streaming down his cheeks at the thought of his love being punished because of his carelessness.  He never should have suggested that they dance, he never should have kissed her. His head slumped as he remembered the first time he had laid eyes on her. He never should have let her leave him. He should have kept her close, wrapped up in his love. He should have run away with her, far from the Briar Valley to an unknown isle where they could start a simple life together, one where no one knew their names, or where they came from. Where they could be king and queen of their own little cottage in the woods.

Y/N looked away from everyone, her eyes focused on the golden tassels on the end of the table covering. She remembered fiddling with similar tassels back home when she was a child, but suddenly, it seemed as though they were miles away from her. She had no energy to fight, and no energy to contradict her mother. It wasn't like her mother would listen to her even if she had the strength to argue or say that she didn't want to marry Aloren. 

Y/N's mother lifted her hand. "Please do not try and shield my daughter, Your Highness. You are not at fault." She turned to Lilia, who had remained silent the entire time. "Please escort the prince back to the castle. I shall inform you when my daughter has completed her punishment." She strode from the room, muttering about how ungrateful Y/N was, and how she had come all this way just to find her daughter messing up her plans. How Aloren's family would be furious when they found out.

As the door slammed behind her, Malleus turned to Y/N, who still had yet to look at him.

"Y/N," he whispered, taking a seat beside her. How desperately he wanted to throw his arms around her and steal her away, leaving everything behind. He didn't want to leave her behind to face the wrath of her mother, but as he reached out to try and embrace her, Y/N turned away, shivering beneath the blanket. His heart broke at the sight of her, frozen both outside and inside. Wounded by her mother's words and at the realisation that they would never get their happy ending. 

"Please go, Your Highness," Y/N whispered, her voice broken despite her attempts to keep it steady. She sniffed and used the edge of the blanket to wipe her nose.

"No, Y/N..." Malleus said, moving closer and stretching out his hand to take hers. "Y/N I lo-"

"Don't say it." The brokenness in her voice made Malleus freeze. He could only stare at her as she slowly got to her feet and left the room, her muddy hat clutched in her hands.