Chapter 21

Rook knew the woods. He knew them better than most. Most of his life had been spent exploring dangerous woods, learning the tricks for navigating such dangerous places, which meant that he knew how dangerous the forest was. The trees threatened to close in around him and keep him a prisoner within their leaves and branches forever. Not that he would ever allow the forest to do that to him.

Suddenly, his phone rang. He pulled it out and smiled when he saw Vil Schoenheit's name pop up on the screen, along with one of his latest magicam posts. He pressed the answer button and lifted it to his ear, tucking it into the crook of his neck as he continued through the forest.

"Rook, where are you?"

Rook laughed gaily. "My dearest Roi du Poison I shall be there momentarily."

"Good. We have much to discuss once you get here."

"Splendi- woah!" Rook's words were suddenly cut off when he tripped over something in the path. His phone slipped and he fell forward into the ground below, his face landing in a soft patch of grass that managed to smear dirt over his otherwise perfect face.

"Rook! Rook are you still there?!"

Rook hurriedly picked himself up and brushed himself off as best he could. What had he tripped over? He had walked this path time and time again to get to Vil's house, and he had never once tripped over anything. 

"Rook! Rook, I swear by the seven if you don't answer me-"

Rook quickly found his phone. "Je suis desole Roi du Poison. I just tripped over something, and I'm not quite sure what it is. One moment." He activated the flashlight on his phone and his eyes widened when he saw the mud-covered human form lying on the ground. He fell to the ground again and pulled the figure close. They were still warm. He ripped off his gloves and pressed the pads of his fingers to the person's neck. This did nothing to calm him. There was a heartbeat, but it was incredibly faint as if it might go at any moment. 

"Rook? What did you trip over?"

The hunter didn't answer. He pulled out a bottle of water and gently poured it over the face of the person, his eyes widening when he realised who it was.

"Reine des Dragons," he exclaimed, upon seeing Y/N's familiar face. He scrambled for his phone. "Vil, it is Rein des Dragons!"

"What?! Y/N? What is she doing out there?"

Rook sputtered for a moment, but then he noticed the knife plunged deep into her side and the marks on her back. She didn't have long.

"Roi du Poison, Reine des Dragons is gravely injured. I fear she will not make it."

"Bring her and I shall do what I can." Vil hung up and Rook shot to his feet. He tucked his phone into his pocket and picked Y/N up as if she were a bride. He sped off into the woods, moving ten times as fast as he had been earlier. Though he and Vil were not well acquainted with the woman, they knew her. They had encountered her before at Night Raven College, in the short time that she was there anyways, and they had gotten along well. The thought of losing her was a thought that Rook didn't like in the least.

While Rook rushed Y/N to Vil's house, Vil was busy ensuring that he had everything he would need to aid in her recovery, if it was even possible. He hadn't seen the wounds, but there were a few potions that he had that should be able to at least keep her in stable condition until they could figure out what to do.

Once he had gotten everything set up, he whipped out his phone again and called another friend.

"Ashengrotto."