Epilogue

. . . FIVE YEARS LATER . . .

"LONG LIVE THE KING!" 

Cheers erupted around the hall as the new king of Briar Valley rose to his feet, holding a sceptre in one hand, and waving to the adoring crowd with the others.

"ALL HAIL KING MALLEUS DRACONIA!"

The crowd repeated the words back to the officiator, and the cheers continued as Malleus smiled at the crowd. He had dreamed of this day for what felt like ages. The day when he would finally be crowned king, no longer a mere prince still forced to obey the rules set by his late mother. Now, he was a king. Now, he had a say in his life. 

One cheer echoed above the others, and Malleus glanced over to the side of the dais where the love of his life was standing. A wide smile was adorning her lips, and Malleus felt his heart swell when he noticed the bundle in her arms. It had been a year since they married, and though Malleus had thought that his wedding was the happiest day of his life, nothing could compare to the day his daughter was born. 

Malleus stepped down from the dais, and as the guests started to make their way to the ballroom where they would continue to celebrate the rest of the coronation, Malleus made his way over to his wife. He handed the sceptre over to a servant and opened his arms wide. Y/N nearly sprinted into his arms, though she was careful not to crush their six-month-old treasure. 

"Hello, my love," Malleus whispered, brushing a few strands of hair away from Y/N's face. She had gotten all dolled up for the coronation, as she was now his queen, but even she, in all her immortal beauty, could hold all her hair in place. Especially when caring for a fussy infant. 

There was a small sound from the bundle in Y/N's arms, and Malleus turned his gaze to his daughter, his eyes glowing with love as he watched his daughter. They had named her Acantha, as she was now the heir to the throne of thorns. He gently moved the threads of the blanket aside, his thumb ever so gently caressing the top of his daughter's head. She babbled at his touch, and Malleus thought as though he might melt right then and there as she reached up and gently curled her tiny fist around his finger.

Y/N watched the interaction with a blissful smile and leaned into her husband's chest. For so long, she had fought to be by his side. She had suffered for years without him. She had endured her power being stripped away from her. But it was all worth it. She had the love of her life, and she had a daughter that she loved more than the moon and the stars above. And even Luna and Nox agreed that little Acantha was one they would guard for the rest of their lives. The little princess would never be aware of the fact that she had two guardians watching out for her, but they would stay by her side when her mother could not. 

Y/N gazed up at her husband and shifted Acantha to a single arm. She reached up and gently caressed Malleus' cheek with the backs of her fingers, smiling when she met his eyes.

"What is it," he asked in a soft voice. 

"Nothing," Y/N hummed, stretching up to press her lips to his jaw. "I just love you so much, my love."

"And I love you, my darling," Malleus answered as he always did. He wound his arms around Y/N's waist and pulled her close. His lips brushed over hers, a mere shadow of the kisses that they had shared in the privacy of their bed chamber, but still just as powerful and passionate. Y/N felt a shiver run through her body as she felt the warm breath of the king on her lips and the gentle swipe of his tongue as it danced across her lip. Her eyes fluttered shut and her lips parted as she waited for him to kiss her, but Malleus pulled away a moment later, a teasing light in his eyes.