Chapter 22

A/N: Don't start the song yet! I'll tell you when to start it :) Also, here's another version if you want to listen to it. Videos are not mine, nor are any of the pictures or videos used elsewhere in the book. [Malleus Draconia] Once Upon a Dream [Twisted Wonderland] - look up on YouTube :)

"Malleus," Y/N breathed, smiling weakly at the man before her. His emerald eyes glowed in the firelight, fraught with worry and fear as he saw Y/N's condition. Her torso was wound in thick bandages, one spot on her side turning red, weeping with the remnants of her blood. Her skirt had been ripped at the knees, whether from branches and brambles or the whip used upon her back, Malleus didn't know, nor did he care. 

Slowly, Malleus approached Y/N's side, sitting down on the edge of the bed and gently taking her hand in his. He let out a shaky sigh as he felt her warmth melding perfectly with his own, reminding him of all the times that he had held her close, warmed by the fire as they savoured each other's embrace. The times before the trials began, the times before Y/N was forced to leave by his mother, and the times before Y/N lay on death's doorstep, her life fading before her eyes. 

"Is Silver okay," Y/N asked, her eyes fluttering shut as a wave of peace overcame her, erasing the pain from her body. 

Malleus nodded. "Yes. He..." He paused to inhale, fighting the waves of sobs that threatened to break him at any moment. "He made it back all right. He and Lilia will be arriving later, once his wounds have been completely healed."

Y/N gave Malleus a soft smile. "Good."

Malleus glanced down at the old wound on Y/N's side and gently pressed his hand to the cloth, shutting his eyes and focusing his powers. It was a simple spell that erased all traces of the wound, now healed by Azul's potions. He would have to thank Azul for saving Y/N's life later, though he hoped that neither Vil nor Rook had struck a deal with Azul in order to save Y/N's life. 

"I'm okay, Mal," Y/N whispered. 

Malleus turned to see Y/N watching him, her hand gently draped across his. It seemed like she was barely clinging to consciousness as she lay on the bed, weak from her wounds and blood loss. It would take time for her to regain her strength, and even longer before she would be strong enough to travel back to Briar Valley.

"I-I know, darling, but..." he sighed and moved closer to Y/N, lifting her hand to press it against his cheek, the bottom of her palm gently grazing the edge of his lips. "You don't know how frightened I was. When Silver returned to the castle, telling us that you had sacrificed yourself so he could escape." A tear slipped from Malleus' eyes, falling gracefully onto Y/N's hand. "I saw the wounds inflicted on him and could only think of the worst. And when Rook contacted us, telling us that you might not make it, I..." His gaze fell from Y/N's, eyes shut gently as tears started to fall freely.

Y/N forced herself to lift her other hand, cupping Malleus' other cheek, and gently brushing it with her thumb. "Mal," Y/N whispered. "You don't have to say anything. I'm all right. Azul..."

"But I should have been there," Malleus said, his eyebrows furrowing on his forehead. He slowly lifted his gaze to Y/N. "I love you, Y/N. Why didn't you come and get me before you left to get Silver?" The tears started to fall again. 

Y/N grunted, slowly trying to sit up. Malleus tried to push her down at first, but when she opened her arms to embrace him, his logical thinking quickly left him, leaving in its place a heartbroken little boy who wanted nothing more than the warm and loving embrace that he knew Y/N would give him. He quickly flew into her arms, tucking his body around hers and resting his head on her shoulder.