Chapter 18

"I OBJECT," Malleus roared as he skidded to a stop at the end of the aisle. The crowd gasped and turned to the end of the aisle, their eyes widening when they saw the Prince of Briar Valley standing at the end. He looked like a mess. His hair was tangled, blood was slowly dripping from where the thorns had struck him on his cheek, and his clothes were untucked and messy, and yet, he was still the beautiful prince that they all knew.

Y/N's mouth dropped beneath the veil as she stared at Malleus. She couldn't believe it. Malleus was here... Malleus was here... He had come for her... But at what cost? She turned to the officiant and Aloren, the former of whom seemed shocked, but Aloren... Aloren was beaming. He turned toward Y/N and took her hand in his.

"I knew he wouldn't go down without a fight." He lifted the veil from Y/N's face and smiled at her. "Go. He's the one you should be marrying." He gently kissed her forehead, before releasing her. 

But Y/N didn't run to Malleus as everyone had thought. She remained by Aloren, her eyes wide. All she could think of was what the queen would say if she discovered that her son was still fighting for Y/N. What would the queen do to her? Would she take her life this time?

"Y/N," Malleus said, taking a step forward. He took another step. "I know what happened." He couldn't stop smiling. He was here. He had stopped the wedding. They would be all right now. They would be all right. They would be able to go back to Briar Valley. They would be together again. 

"W-what do you mean?" She took a step towards him. 

"Lilia told me, my love," he said. "He told me everything." He now stood directly in front of her. If he took another step, he would knock her over, and if he dipped his head just the slightest bit... But he didn't. Instead, he lifted his hand and gently brushed Y/N's hair around her ear. He reached up to her hair and pulled out the pin that was holding it all together. The h/c tresses tumbled down, bouncing slightly. 

"When you say everything..."

"I know what my mother did to you, Y/N," he said, holding her face as if she were a delicate porcelain doll. "I know that she threatened you so you would never come to see me again, and I know that she took your magic."

Y/N let out a small breath of relief and allowed her body to relax. Her bouquet fell to the ground beside her and she leaned forward, resting her head on Malleus' chest. Her arms hung limply at her sides, all energy gone from her body as she felt the wave of everything crashing over her. This whole day had been a mess. This whole week had been a mess. A mess that seemed to revolve solely around her. 

Murmurs started to float around the venue.

"What is the prince doing here?"

"Why did he object?"

"Are they together?!"

"What about Lord Aloren? What will he do now?"

"Why is the prince embracing her?"

"What's going on?"

"Is there still a wedding?"

Malleus noticed Y/N start to tense and he met Aloren's eyes. She shouldn't be here. Not where everyone could gossip and form whatever rumours they wanted. 

Aloren walked down the dais and approached his parents. He spoke with them quietly for a moment before nodding and walking over to Malleus and Y/N. 

"Come with me."

He led Malleus and Y/N away from the venue and back to the manor, where they could talk in private. Malleus could hear the governor speaking to the guests about what had just happened, and how there would still be a reception for the guests. That seemed to appease them enough and they all headed over to the tables loaded with food to help themselves to the buffet, while the governor and his wife followed after them, most likely to speak with them inside.